Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Twitchy steering at 100+

After driving my car at the weekend at high speed I feel as though the car gets twitchy. I dont know what its like in other performance cars as I havent driven any and not at that speed. Could this be just part and parcel of having stiffened suspension feeling the road more, or could it be something I need to replace?

Ive fitted Koni H&Rs,new wishbones,track rod ends,ball joints and top mounts and rubbers. Would worn rear axle bushes or arb bushes affect this?

Corrados are known to be really good at high speeds.

Bad bushes would definately affect the ride (look what he did for america ;))

I've recently replace my rear beam bushes... My car was very twitchy under high speed braking... After i did the bushes it was a different car!!

Not too much of a big job to do if your ok with the spanners. On a VR6 the rear brake compensator does get in the way when trying to drop the rear axle out of the car. My experience is that the bolts heads holding this baby on WILL go round. One way around this is to push the bolt holding the beam on through until it hits the brake compensator cut it off and replace it with a new one from VAG put in from the opposite direction... I hope this ramble makes some sense.

It sometimes depends on the road surface quality mainly, assuming the car is setup as well as it can be. Rutted dual carriageways will always make the suspension's life harder to keep the car tracking straight at speed.

Corrados have vague steering feel just off centre too, which doesn't help install confidence!

The best thing you can do to improve high speed stability is get the camber set to about -0.9 to -1 and increase the caster angle, somewhere between 5 and 6 degrees should do the trick and it'll corner a damn sight better too. A little toe out can improve stability too.

Cheers guys! Ive got some rear bushes ready to go on.Ibrought them of some guy on ebay but arent sure of their origin. Do the VW ones have any VW markings on them? They do seem good quality as far as a bit of metal and rubber goes! :)