Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Laquer - A Question for the Alloy Polishers!!!

When you polish Ali parts such as wheels and such like, to prevent me from having to repolish them every month what laquer can I use to spray on (preferably in can form!) that will permanantly protect it??

there arent many products that will actually adhere properly to polished alloy and keep their finish for long, but the stuff that frost sell is meant to be very good, the glisten pc is a 2 part product and needs to mixed before use but gives a much harder durable finish but im not sure it can be used in a spray gun, but it does dry without any brush marks.

diamond clear spray laquer

glisten pc

Just now I am using an aerosol spray by Autoglym - "Alloy Wheel Seal".

Their products are always good, I have found.

Always difficult to tell if these things are working well unless you use them for years.

One of the best old-fashioned ways to protect alloys was to apply wax floor polish containing beeswax. The science is sound - the wax stops brake dust and salt adhering to the surface. Cheap, too.

Yes to an extent - I've polished my rims with Belgom which has a wax in it and its pretty good. I dont think there is a "best" way to solve this one tho. The problem with lacquer is once it goes you'll have to strip the whole lot off again and redo. With polish, you can polish the wheels every time you wash the car. And if you DO get some pitting, just get the buffer out for a few mins and you're back to a shine. HTH

ive used lacquer before and it went yellow

one of the wheels I bought at the weekend has been lacquered, and has turned a yellowish colour, it looks like its got nicotine stains.

you probably wouldn't really notice unless you had two next to each other, unfortunately when fitted you do have them next to each other :roll:

ZippyVR6

so would car wax do the same job then?

I reckoned so - Ive used it plenty of times before.

A lot of these car care products are overpriced, appeal to our vanity and are certainly not vital. Ordinary cheaper stuff will do just as good a job IMO.

Some things can do two or three different jobs. I note that Autoglym leather care cream can be used on vinyl and rubber. So, do I really need the Vinyl Care stuff?

Having said that, I am as daft as anyone when it comes to picking up on impulse something else in Halfords to try.

We men must be as gullible with car care products as women are with cosmetics.

We men must be as gullible with car care products as women are with cosmetics.

Like it craigowl. And as you rightly point out, a lot of auto cosmetics have multiple uses, its just a question of being aware that a polish is different from a wax. Getting back to the point, i'm not really a big believer in lacquering polished rims. You either spray them with paint or polish them, but lacquer is definitely not an option.