Sign in to follow this  
Crispo

G60 taking a long time to heat up

My G60 seems to take a long time to heat up after starting and I just wanted to check if this is normal?

I've tried searching for an answer and had no luck - most posts are concerning running too hot not too cold so maybe I should consider myself lucky.

After starting I drive the car straight away but keep under 3000rpm until the oil is up to 90. This can take over 10 mins which seems like a long time - also the water temp gauge seems to take an age before it even rises off the stop.

Hope someone out there can help.

Cheers

10 minutes to get the oil up to 90 sounds about right. Although the water temp shouldn't take that long to move. It could be that the temp sender switch is on it's way out (just a guess). It's not expensive to replace.

has it got an after market oil cooler fitted?

i reckon as long as the oil does get up to temp your ok

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't got an aftermarket oil cooler fitted and the oil temp does go up.

As far as the water goes it does seem to take a long time to go up - and on some shorter journeys won't even rise as far as where the numbers start. The guage does work though as proved when stuck in traffic when it's pointing to the sky and the fans going for all it's worth!

Not driven another corrado but compared to other cars I've driven seems to take an unusually long time to heat up. How can I check if the temp sensors are working correctly?

Cheers

C.

How would I know if my thermostat was stuck open?

And what would that mean?

As I'm sure you may well have guessed I'm not the most technical of people - but I like the sound of cheap and easy to replace!

Cheers

C.

It would mean that the coolant is being flowed through the radiator from start-up, rather than being diverted through the engine only. The thermostat should initially be closed, which allows the engine to reach proper operating temperature quickly before it opens to prevent overheating.

If you want to check if a thermostat is working ok take it out and drop in to a cup of boiling water. it should open if it's ok. if not, new one.