Sign in to follow this  
Storm Warning

Bind and Grind!

As my Storm is my 2nd car its normal that it only goes out for a run once a week. Often the brakes have a slight layer of rust and can be bound. Usually a couple of stabs of the brakes get it back to normal.

Yesterday I took it out after it being stood for about 2 weeks, in that time its been outside with very heavy rain splashing the discs. Needless to say they were very bound up, fourtunatly the torque of a VR is enough to free it ;-) After a steady run from my house and the couple of gentle brake test the grinding noise was very loud.

After 80 miles of a mix of roads and plenty of additional brake tests they are still noisy when applying pressure. They are still as effective, but not as good and not pulling up as straight when do a serious halt.

Do you think that it will go away eventually? or are they beyond repair? If it is relevant I have had the brakes very hot recently when my sat nav got me stuck on at cadwell.

Many Thanks

if there still making that type of noise after the mileage you say you have done then mate you may well have a problem , take the wheels off and check to see if you have a small stone caught up between the caliper and disc or even trapped on the back plate , at the same time check the thickness of the pad material fronts around 7mm - 3mm and rears 5mm-2mm , check the discs for corrosion across the braking face and check for wear across the face , if there scorn or have a wear ridge at the top of the disc then bin them and replace for new , hope this is some help :)

Its really worth pulling all your pads out, cleaning up the pad 'runner' tracks and even filing back some of the pads backing plates to make sure they move freely. I use my Storm about as frequently as you- when I checked all my brakes every pad on every caliper was rusted into place- this caused hugely uneven braking when pushing hard- but yet suprisingly 'OK' braking when driving normally.

Like you say- the sheer torque of the VR disguises the effect of mild seized brakes- whether its due to seized calipers or pads.

sounds like it could be the rear actuating arms in the calipers not releasing properly, jack the car in the air and spin each wheel in turn, make sure it spins freely. Also check condition of pads.

Good coating of copper grease works wonders on actuating arm to keep it moving.

HTH

Gav

I think that any copper grease that was there was melted off at cadwell. Should be going to Donnington Park in July so really need to get them sorted. I have experienced further brake probs with my car being stood a couple of weeks.

So in order of things to do, I should be looking at, Pads, Fluid, Hoses, 288s, 312s, 4pots yeh? I have seen a set of 288 discs for sale. If my pads and discs are shot anyway then I might get them, with reasonable pads and possibly the hose/fluid change.

One thing that crossed my mind was if the fact I have std (4x4) ride height.. I think it made me work the brakes harder.. any truth in that? or my imagination?

I have just done the 288's on mine- plus coloured them red which sets off really nicely against the mystic blue and fills the Solitudes out well.

Plus 288's don't go for as much as you think- I picked up a pair of a late mk4 1.8t for £50 and they were in good nick- once I had cleaned em up on a rotary wire brush and painted them up they looked like new.

Coupled with new VAG discs, Goodridge hosed and Pagid FR's it makes for a whole new braking experience :-)

I am think the 288 conversion is the way to go if I have to replace pads and discs anyway (still to be checked)

...so for the 288 conversion, I just need the Discs, Calipers and carriers? off a suitable donor and nothing else different? How much did the VAG discs, Goodridge hosed and Pagid FR's set you back? and did you change the type of fluid?

Yes you need mk3 288mm highline discs (not 288mm mk4's as they have the wrong hub offset or something)- they were £47 each. Hoses were I think £74 and at the moment I have only fitted the front ones (you can't use your original hoses anyway as they have the wrong connection); pads were maybe £40 odd, and yes I changed the fluid to dot 5.1.

They look great and the braking is night & day in comparison to a set of worn 280's; which of course are worth a fair bit in themselves so you can recoup some of your outlay in flogging those off :-)