Sign in to follow this  
kitharrison

electric window woes...

now... I've looked on here and read a few things about this. Basically my driver side electric window cable snapped yesterday - I've taken the door card off and there it is with a freyed end staring at me...

am I right in thinking I need to get a new cable AND motor? and if I do where is the best place people have found?

am I also right in thinking I have to drill out the old one because it's rivetted in place... how would I put a new one back in if I don't have a pop rivetter....?!?

I think I need help!

anyone out there want to shed some light on this...? The window is currently being held up with zip ties and wire. Not cool...

Yep, unfortunatly you need the whole regulator assembly that also comes with a motor - not cheap i'm afraid!

Rivets - halfords do a set for about £15 I think...

Like mine two days back... :p

Snapped.jpg

See here for more chat on the subject

I will be doing my window later in the week. have my kids at mo. Not time nor weather to do it. :roll:

did mine today proper pain in the ass!!!

got the part on here second hand, new is a ridiculos price, quite staright forward just very awkward!!!

ooh do let me know how it goes and where you get a motor from. I'll try german swede bits first - they were good last time.. but I'm not exactly the world's best with a pop riveter :(

can't I just replace the cable? or am I being dumb....

anyone know of any visuals online.. like 'how to do it - an idiots guide'?

this is the part you need, parts gateway have a couple about 30 quid when i checked.

basically drill out 3 rivets for the moter, 4 on the arm, pull the 2 lugs out of the plastic wheels on the bottom of the window.

with the window up you can see 2 10mm bolts through the round holes in your pic that hold it to the window, undo these

to get the old one out and the new one in you need to put it in sideway and just wiggle/force/ lie on the floor swearing ... etc

took me a couple of hours today not having done one before!!

hth

ben

got my rivet gun of ebay £6 inc postage

with only a broken wire why do I need a whole regulator assembly?

Any clues?

fredd

Yes you need the whole lot as far as I know. I will be replacing mine tomorrow will knock up a 'how to'..

don't think you can buy just the cable from VAG but i think you can get just the motor or the whole assy so if you pick up a second hand cable assy you can fit your motor

did mine last week getting the cable runner back in is a ba$tard in the end had to remove inner and outer window wiper strips and flex the glass with a screw driver on the metal window bottom grip as it needed a tiny bit more to get it back in place think how tight it is depends on the top bracket (the piece that has the hole in for the pop rivet) if you check the pic above the red block is at the bottom of the door when fitted , bracket i'm on about is at the bottom of that pic

took me about 3 hours over two days (drilling out the second hand motor mounting rubbers was a pain ) but i would say it about an hours work all in ,wouldn't want to do another in a hurry don't think i could survive the blood loss from all the little cuts and nicks on my hands :oops:

Rob

Just removed my mech and motor. Well I'm not looking forward to putting that lot back in tomorrow :roll:

Really the top section was a mare. Rest was easy enuff. get a big thing out a small hole.... :-P

The motor has some rivet mounts on it. Do these need cleaning out to be used again. They have the remains of the rivets in em. Could you bolt the motor in place?

what i did with the rubber mounts was unscrew them from the motor remove the washer with a little heat the remains of the pop rivets drop out then super glue the washers back on you should have six to play with so you can mess up 50

Hi. Cheers for the reply. Was looking at the motor mounts and thinking what? Will a pop rivet fasten to that.. I guess it does.

As for cuts.. I got a real nice skin graze on my elbow. It bled like a good en. You know the sought not a cut more like arghh I tore my skin off as I pulled my arm out from holding the window up.. :lol:

Shall have fun nodoubt when doing it tomorrow. Had some today fitting a new ignition switch, what a mare the little screw was!!

Hay carpy25 .

What did you sue o heat up the motor mounts. I see what ya mean they are built to absorb alot of stress. Bet the motor flex's on em a bit.

Getting ready to do the deed so just wanted any details ya may have.

heated the first one up trying to drill it out as it got hot the washer lifted on the one edge a little so i got my nail under and it came off easly, i used the drill then to heat them up instead of drilling them out if you put the mounting in a vice or grips and get a drill bit a little smaller than the hole and use the edge of the drill to create heat it don't take much then use a blunt knife to pop the washers off

Rob

Wow great minds think alike. That is what I did. Just span em off with a drill. Yes they do get hot :lol:

Well job is done. Took me an hour. All in all very pleased. mechanisam went in a doddle really. I just need one more rivet for the top. My rivets were a bit shallow so get a pack of long ones for that. So elecy window I have again.

Have photo's will post em later.

DSCF1748.jpg

Motor mountrs need clearing out of rivet body. Easily done. Place mount in vice and use a drill to spin the rubber washer of. Drop out rivet and use super glue to rebond. Cheers Carpy.

mounts-split.jpg

Mounts seperated

DSCF1749.jpg

Once clear and rebonded they should look like this.

DSCF1754.jpg

DSCF1755.jpg

New mechanisam being offered up.

DSCF1756.jpg

Mechanisam slipping into place. Slide all way to far end. Tilt and slide up. Making sure top armature is inside the window glass. ie closer to you and not behind glass.

Pop the window arms in place. I just popped the glass rollers of the old mechanisam and then removed them from the runners. Replace these with your rollers from your new mechanisam. They may be worn to suit your new mechanisam. Don't want em popping off when you have all the door back together.

Once all is in place. Hook central rod onto the clips in the door panel and pop rivet back into place. Do the motor last. Now lift the window and replace the two 10mm bolts that actually attach to the window. Connect button and admire handywork.

Job done. Took me about and Hr to refit mech.