Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

whilst doing the timing chains

ive had a good read through of all the threads i can find on changing the chains.

one of the threads asks if theres anything else worth doing at the same time other than the clutch.

obviously the bottomless pit of money option is to do everything!

are there any sensible things that should/could be done at the same time?

engine/gearbox mounts?

engine and gearbox mounts are generally a good move anyway since any originals will be a bit tired by now. You don't really need to do them at the same time as the chains, they're not 'that' hard to access. You're really looking at things that can be done while the manifold/chain cover etc are off since the labor involved is quite high and anything that can be done at the same time will save you money in the long run... I'm not sure what those things might be but I'm positive someone will enlighten you!

read the knowledge base atricle.....thats why i was asking about the mounts really.

if the flywheel that likely to need doing?

any gaskets or antyhing down there that might be worth replacing as a precation?

Steve probably ment look at fitting a lightened flywheel mate, doubt theres anything up with the original. Makes it much freer reving. Was a post about them the other day. thats the only mod im doing when i do my chains and clutch.

take it were talking a findanza(sp?) jobbie?

bit out of my price range having just bought the car.....but tempting none the less.

just need to find someone decent between southampton and watford to do the job.

been told that storm developments at basingstoke are v good....

any gaskets or antyhing down there that might be worth replacing as a precation?

I replaced the crank oil seal, just as a precaution. Nothing worse than sticking the gearbox back on only to find it has to come back off again becuase oil is leaking.

The article in the knowledge base is very useful, especially for lining up all the timing marks. This was how i discovered mine was one tooth out!!! I assume it came like this from the factory... All ok now though, checked it several times before sticking it all back together..

See the link below for the bits i bought and how much they cost...

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Cheers

Steve

i've just spoken to someone else about storm actually......

im in southampton mate.

ive used autotechnik for basic service stuff on 4cyl vw's.....any one have experince of them and VR's?

ive used autotechnik for basic service stuff on 4cyl vw's.....any one have experince of them and VR's?

Used to be very good. Had been using them for 7 years up until recently. They changed management over christmas and the level of service and customer care has dropped considerably...

not yet, although it seems better the more i drive it gary.

heading down to littlehampton on monday to get it hooked up to vagcom.

then over to elie at voodoo for the chains and stuff on thursday...wasnt going to do it so soon but the clutch has started to slip.

trying to get all the parts i could possibly need without being daft about it.

also looking at etka, it lists a different clutch for earlier vr's (like mine) anyone know if this is just vw bull, or do i really need a different clutch kit to later vr's?

not sure about the different type clutch chris, i`m sure someone here will put you right tho , nice to see you getting the chains/tensioners done at the same time tho... makes perfect sense, dont forget about the fuel filter tho chris, i`d be interested to see what crud has accumulated in that `old` can, have the oil changes made any difference mate or are you going to wait and get it all done at the same time as the other stuff ? :thumbleft:

ok, elie cant do the cluth/chains for the moment.....some sort of political mess over using a name.......so its on hold until its sorted.

just going to get a fluid change done at a trustworth local chap ive used before.....