Sign in to follow this  
rixy

3.1 Conversion to a 2.9 vr

So whats the deal with forged pistons?

Are they all noisy, do they all let oil past (sure i heard that) and do they kill the engine quicker?

Cheers

Just a matter of trust but i'm pleased you have one, is it running and if so what's the noticable result?

I like things like this and wonder what the differences would be if it was done to a VR crank!

Let us know how it goes.

Chris

i did have the car running, then had issues with some wildlife. the car should be back on the road soon hopefully!

i couldnt tell you if the crank on its own made alot of difference as i had lots of work done at the same time i.e. ported head, bored block etc. i can tell you that my crank is coinsiderably lighter than a standard crank, and i had the flywheel lightened by 45% to make the bottom end lighter. its all the little things that add up to make a difference.

its a shame that you probably wont ever see the crank as it truely is a wok of art, in fact in sure i could frame it and display it at some gallery as its a far better sculpture than some of the rubbish ive seen!!

forged pistons are made using a different process to normal pistons which are cast. the forged items should be alot harder than the original items. which means that they are normally used in low compression engines.

shouldnt let oil past, thats what the rings are for. as for the noise, who cares?! its all about performance!

couldnt agree more robbo, i've been for a blat in robs car with him, and my god is it quick, and it makes all the right sounds too.

Spoke to a few people at inters and got some ideas for the lump, so might be going ahead soon, as soon as i can get my other car mot'd, the raddo is being started!!!