Sign in to follow this  
White2505

fan switch

I've tried a search but my ineptitude has not got a result.

I have a 1.8 16v

the pin has broken off the thermo switch which is located on the left hand side (when viewed from the front of the car) engine head near to the airbox.

it only has one pin and shorting the wire to earth makes the single electric fan cut in.

all the searches suggest the thrmoswitch is on the radiator.

I don't want to order the wrong part so does anyone know what this sensor is actually called and have a part number??

thanks

Andrew

yes I read that, but THAT switch is the three pin jobbie on the bottom of the radiator (if I read correctly) not the sensor on the head.

No problem, I've already been there but unfortunately without knowing what the part is supposed to be called I'll ending spending money on something I don't actually need and end up re-ordering and losing time.

Of course being a corrado there's ALWAYS a long list of things I actually DO need so don't really want to buy something that at this stage I don't. :)

I use a mk2 G (+16v) haynes manual for all things engine related, I don't have it to hand but it's worth getting one off egay if you don't have one.

checked my haynes golf manual already and that only mentions the thermoswitch on the radiator and not this second switch on the end of the head.

I've temporarily bodged it with chemical metal :( to hold the tag on the sensor but don't want to rely on it as I'm doing a long journey next week and have only got the car back today after the engine rebuild and really don't want it going bang!

Cheers Supercharged, that makes sense, I take it it stays closed turning the fan on until the head has cooled sufficiently for the switch to open?

ta

Whitey