Sign in to follow this  
spike16vgte

corrado vr6 vs astra gte 16v vs calibra turbo

I'm a vaux/opel man, (currently restoring a manta) and I do quite like the look of a calibra, and in standard un-modded forms it would beat any standard unmodded corrado in a striaght line, although admittedly, not by very much, but the engine is very tunable.

However...

The main problem with Calibras is that they are a complete bast*rd to work on, and exceptionally unreliable. Unless you get a coscast head red top, your engine will go porous, the electrics in a calibra a bleedin' nightmare, and if you want to carry out any work on one, its pretty much an engine out job. As mentioned before the 4X4 system in calibras is also rather prone to falling to bits.

I've driven both, and a corrado handles a lot, and I mean a lot better than a calibra.

Buy a corrado, definately looks better, and is a lot more reliable and exclusive.

hehe. I know of one person who owns a Calibra, and they have their first name tattoed on their chest.... says it all really....

Spooky. I know a guy that's owned two Calibra Turbos and has his surname tattooed down his forearm. Not the action of a normal person!

I owned an Astra GTE 16v in 1995 and in a race with a Corrado VR6 on the A11 there was almost nothing in it. Yes, I'd agree, the Calibra Turbo will have the edge at speeds over 120mph. How much time are you going to be spending there? Not a lot. My tired old Corrado 16v left my mate's 240bhp Calibra Turbo trailing on a spirited trip down a country road - a much more common driving scenario around here. 4x4 certainly doesn't make them handle any better!

i live in the sticks in somerset so i dont really know what they sound like.

Where abouts, as so do i!!

Mines not a VR6, its a G60, but i can take you for a drive.

You just need to use your imagination to think "its like this, only faster."

i live in stoke sub hamdon but also have a place in yeovil.but i have made my mind up on what car i want.ive decided to go for the corrado vr6.the transfer box in calibra can cause ALOT of problems.i was looking at some on the owners cars and quite simply they are rude as.then went on a calibra website looking at owners cars and it didnt have the same effect on me.i have read so many reviews on both cars that my head was hurting but every single review said the same.corrado is better.so im now a 'dubster or v dub' man.thanks to vx for the great time we had :( but time to have a car that handles :D and that i dont get pulled over every week :D :D !!!!!.

Good man! Really mate you will not regret the looks you get or the sound of the VR when you open it up! Welcome to the V-DUB CLUB!!