Sign in to follow this  
storm_warning

Stone chips, chips away, unt stoof

After lovingly cleaning and polishing my car, I can now clearly see a multitude of sins the dirt was hiding. My bonnet has about a millions stonechips and theres a fair few more on the bumper and leading edges of the front wings.

I want to get these done, but there's a lot of them. Does anyone know if people like chips away charge per panel, or quote on the sheer ammount of work they have to do?

Anyone here used a stone chip removal company on a car that could only be described as peppered? What were the results like?

you get mixed results with the chips away etc companies..it depends on how good the person that doing the job

I used them for a few small things (ChipsAway, I think).

Some bits Ok - others not.

Would not get them again - guys on forum were strongly of opinion that they were not great and improvements were only temporary.

For your Storm, personally, I would avoid them.

Does anyone know if people like chips away charge per panel, or quote on the sheer ammount of work they have to do?

They all seem to charge on the amount of work & on a car "peppered" like you describe, it would rapidly become far more expensive than a proper front-end respray. As others have said, the quality of the work is entirely down to the guy doing it, but I'd go for a proper respray if you intend to keep the car.

I'm in same position, lots of stone chips, peppered if you will.

The guy from chips away himself said you'd have to get a respray done, they cant get scratches and chips out but not millions of them.

my car had the bonnet done by the previous owner about 9 months ago.aparently looked good at the time,when i bought the car it was flat and dull,many have said it is only a short term fix used by the motor trade to tart up and sell on.get a proper paint job cheaper in the long run i.m.h.o

I used chips away last year on my A4 for three marks on three different panels, two I was pleased with, but the third was very disappointing, that was on a crease on the boot and there was a lot of over spray and it looks crap. I was charged £85. The guy who did it hadn't been doing it long. If you've a few bits to do on one panel I wouldn't bother with them.

Many thanks for all your replies. I think I'll give the short term fix a miss and just go straight for a proper respray, if it comes in cheap enough.

I think I only paid an extra £160 at the bodyshop to get my bonnet and wings resprayed.

Was that whilst you were having other work already being done, or were you actually charged £160ish for the bonnet and wings? If I can find a price similar to that there's no reason to ever use a chips away company...