Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Car being full resprayed... What are your thoughts!!!

Well the car goes in for a Full respray in 2wks.... This is giving me the time to think about any alterations that I may possible want to consider :roll:

I am contenplating to make some major changes such as getting rid of the side strps...

De seamng the rear and getting rid of all badges/lines....

Getting rid of toe eye and smoothing the whole over....

The roof rails have seen better days, how hard is it to smooth them over too???

Colour coding all of mirrors and door handles...

:? :? :?

Or shall i just keep it OEM and keep it an origal car with just a set of rims and lowering it????

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

What are your thoughts guys???

I'd go a bit further than keeping it standard tbh... not a fan of smooth roofs though! I think the smooth bumpers a good idea - you could also lose the pipe for a really clen rear...

how about flushing the plate recess in the front bumper too?

Can the roof strips be replaced? What sort of costs? They look weather'd at the moment... If the paintwork comes back mint I'd want the rest of the car to follow...

IIRC they're about £40 a side! If it's the rubber bit on the inner most side you can just trim it off and they're fine... 8)

If you do smooth the roof, make sure you have them lead filled (hard to find someone that does it nowadays though) as you'll find in later years filler or fibreglass will sag and crack!

KADVR6, Sorry mate... I really appreciate your offer, which i may still come and get a quote, but I have some boys I've been using for a couple of years now

They always look after me and are quite understanding when i ask for things to be done the way i want them..... They are pro's with an oven bake machine...

I'm looking to pay around £700 for it to be stripped right down and finished to my perfection.... They know i'm a fussy bugger!!!!

Yeh its the rubber inners that are disintergrating... Won't they look stupid without them.... It'll just be a long hole ????

i did the roof rails ,i welded metal strips i then a ight skim of filler ,and its okay only been done a year though !! smoothed front number plate is a cool looking mod .

yeh the strips start - stop - start - stop......

Well I'd deffo cut off all the remaining bits - it really doesn't look bad when done 8)

I'm leaving mine rather than hacking them apart, as I think it would look weird/bad too, get some pics up Phil and prove me wrong :)

smooth front bumper,

colour code read plate recess,

remove bump strips,

colour code mirrors,

remove badgers and smooth,

colour code handles

thats on my list.

KADVR6, you do resprays? whats a ball park figure?

700 notes sounds very doable (next month doable infact). I've been looking at a grand anywhere I've looked

Yep.... Thats what my thoughts were too...

Once its back i'm gonna try replacing the Oil pump to see if it clear the intermitent tappet noise... and if it doesn't!!! Then i'm sending it away for the chains, followers and head to be done...

Nuff said!

['H3R4POR]smooth front bumper,

colour code read plate recess,

remove bump strips,

colour code mirrors,

remove badgers and smooth,

colour code handles

thats on my list.

do you often have a problem with badgers climbing into you car where you live? be carefull when you remove them, they can be quite nasty. :lol:

easy as to trim the roof strips with a scalpel and looks much better than the furry sections on there now!!

CC the rear number plate panel

get some of them smoothed mirrors of whoever on here is selling them exchange

sparay the side strips if you dont wanna remove them

where the hell do you boys get these quote from !!

i've been to 4 local places to get my rear panel sprayed and stone chips including wing blend and the cheapest quote i got was 1200 with me doing all the removing and refitting!!

Cheapest respray cost was 2.5k, most expensive was 3.8k

£700 wtf !!??????????????????????

I saw a rado last week with a smooth roof and it doesnt look right at all. New trims from VW will cost under £100 for a pair.

I'm getting everything apart from the pillars and the roof resprayed, inc rust at the rear. Also getting door handles, rear num surround and rieger grill painted as well.

All for £650. With a warranty so not a 'mate' and also someone with a very good rep etc.

Re: the roof strips. Has anyone ever body coloured them?

Im a sprayer by trade and £700 is too cheap for a complete repaint. The paint and materials would be around half of that alone. We work on around £150 per panel provided that big repairs arent needed. You get what you pay for with bodywork. Ill be interested to see the finished product.

I was quoted £1500 for a full respray from the same guy.

He wanted an extra £850 just to paint your A pillers and roof! :shock:

Not sure about your figures...

I've never liked the smooth front bumper.. firstly its a bit of a legal issue to not have a front number plate anyway, and if you take off the recess for the plate you just end up sticking it on somewhere else on the front! I don't see the point tbh!

I'd leave it fairly standard personally.. there are not too many styling decisions made on the Corrado that I don't like!