Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Always a good one this......the only way is to get out in several different cars with different setups and make the choice that you like, everybody is different so it's a very personal choice.

Driven loads of different cars with Koni, KW, Weitec, PI, Bilstein, Eibach, H&R the list goes on and on.

For us it comes down to the old mix of comfort, handling and price.

H&R Springs and Koni dampers are a good comfort option. Moderate lowering.

KW v1's give really good handling, but some think a bit on the firm side.

Weitec GTX give good handling without the KW price tag (or the INOX SS bodies!).

V3's are awesome...... but most of us don't have the £1k+ floating around to pay for them.

At the end of the day get out and drive a few.... have a good think.....drive a few more..... then make your own choice :wink:

Which Weitecs are we talking here, the GT's or the TX's? I have the GT which are height adjustable but fixed damping. I believe the TX's have adjustable damping, so are the equivilent of V2's but for less money? Perhaps they would be a good choice to go for? Still think they're ~£700 though, the GAZ's i'm looking at have adjustable height and damping and you choose spring rates etc and they're about £550.

I'll be ordering mine soon so depending on how long you wait to get some of your own, I can take you out in mine to add another to your list for comparison :lol:

Right - updates ahoy.

The 16v has been sitting neglected at the back of the driveway for a while. I decided that I needed to start using it more so gave the VR a good clean before covering it and been using the 16v for a few weeks. First thing that struck me was just how shockingly bad the steering was on it, having spent a few months using the VR - the classic problem with the worn column causing vague, wandering on roads and frankly dangerous vagueness when in situations on narrow bits of road. I'd bought a Polo steering column about 2 or 3 years ago with the intention of buying the rest of the bits to do the fixed height column mod but never got around to it.. but with a kind offer from davidwort to tackle the job under his expert instruction, decided it was time to do it.

Popped over to his yesterday morning armed with all the parts and we did the swap. Along the way we discovered my track rods are also worn and have play in them both and will have been contributing to my problems - but the fixed column is a revelation. I simply can't believe (and I say this hand on heart) how good the steering on the car is now. Driving down some rutted uneven windy roads near where I live yesterday on the way home, I was actually shouting out loud in the car (insanity setting in already for me) with glee because I couldn't believe what a difference it had made. Thrilled to bits. In the not too distant future I'll aim to get a new rack on the car with new track rods as well as a "younger" Universal Joint I have, and that should basically be the entire suspension / steering system overhauled in the 4 years or so I've owned the car.

The VR meanwhile is off to DG Autotech on September 11th for new dampers. I decided eventually that I wanted more comfort than track type handling and I didn't want coilovers so opted for some Bilstein B4 dampers, using the existing springs. Keeps the costs sensible and should keep OE'ish comfort whilst the springs and ARB's bring the ride height down a bit and tighten up the ride nicely.

Everyone seems to rave about the fixed height column, id be interested to see what one feels like to compare with my vr. Was the steering noticeably/dangerous vague before? Cant complain about my steering but then again if its what im used to i probably wouldnt know any better! Nice progress BTW

It was appallingly bad previously. For example when cornering I'd find myself "sawing" at the wheel trying to corner in a smooth line. Driving on a motorway I'd have to keep adjusting the wheel as the front of the car would sort of wander around in the ruts caused by lorries and when going through (for example) roadworks where the road narrowed between cones or concrete barriers I'd be continually twitching the steering trying to keep in a straight line. It was really awful - I'd say dangerously so.

I'd eliminated just about everything else on the car over the years having fully replaced the suspension, wishbones, ball joints, wheel bearings, tyres, etc etc.

The difference is really night and day.

Everyone seems to rave about the fixed height column, id be interested to see what one feels like to compare with my vr. Was the steering noticeably/dangerous vague before? Cant complain about my steering but then again if its what im used to i probably wouldnt know any better! Nice progress BTW

Same here. Not sure if it needs doing and haven't tried a fixed column one either. Anyone fancy trying mine to see if it's shot?!

Good work, Jim (and Dave! ;) :salute: . I must admit, after driving Dave's 16v with the fixed column last year, I was totally won over. One of the best mods you can do IMHO, hopefully I'll be doing it at some stage on the VR.

how much does it cost to do? does sound a worth while mod and everyone that has it cant praise it enough

I got the main column and Polo lock housing from a breaker for £10. The rest of the bits I got from VW for about £70. I didn't buy a new ignition switch as mine is only a few years old but if you've any doubts you really should factor this into the price as the little fiddly screw that is difficult to get at to remove the switch on a Corrado, is in a literally impossible place on the Polo column - I don't see how it could be swapped without removing the whole assembly TBH.

The sticking point is that the plastic cowling also needs replacing as it's a different fitment to the one used on the adjustable height column - but is now obsolete from VW. Currently investigating the possibility of getting the cowling reproduced by a plastic reproduction company.

I didn't realise you'd taken any pictures.. hehe.. :)

It was appallingly bad previously. For example when cornering I'd find myself "sawing" at the wheel trying to corner in a smooth line. Driving on a motorway I'd have to keep adjusting the wheel as the front of the car would sort of wander around in the ruts caused by lorries and when going through (for example) roadworks where the road narrowed between cones or concrete barriers I'd be continually twitching the steering trying to keep in a straight line. It was really awful - I'd say dangerously so.

I'd eliminated just about everything else on the car over the years having fully replaced the suspension, wishbones, ball joints, wheel bearings, tyres, etc etc.

The difference is really night and day.

Having both types of column to drive I can say the fixed column feels tighter, however my adjustable column is no-where near as bad as Jim's was. Given the age of the car and the previous history (high mileage, slammed with really wide streched rims) it is not suprising the tie rods and steering column have become that worn.

Glad you think it was worth the effort Jim, a new rack may not be needed, I would expect swapping the tie rods out will improve things even further and a rack swap will give you little noticeable gains. Interesting that the difference you experience seems to suggest the lower UJ may not have as much input into vague steering as has been suggested in the past.

The adjustable height column in my VR (which has done 171k) feels nothing like the one on the valver did - that's still very tight and the handling is very precise. I don't get any wandering or anything like I did on the valver.

I was very close to fitting a new rack, even bought a 2nd hand mk3 VR one (same as a 4cyl C one bar the track rods) but on inspection of the track rods we decided just to do those first.

In the end the difference was so great with new track rods (the inner joints like yours Jim) clonked like a goodun rocked on full lock, that 3 years later my original (1990) rack is still going OK, unless it leaks I doubt I'll bother swapping it out.

Like I said to you Jim, inner tie rod joints aren't MOT items, so badly worn ones get left on cars for years.

Im just begining to get this vague steering feel at speeds of 70 mph upwards, Feels like the front end is very light! Is this what you felt jim ? The car feels great around corners nice tight and precise but i always feel like somethings not quite right. I have replaced everything else including all the suspension and bushes Total refurb!! It does need new top mounts though, Serves me right for using febi billstein parts :shock: I dont really want to do away with the adjustable column so what else on the steering would need replacing as an alternative

That was one of the symptoms but as I said, I found it worse on uneven road surfaces... because there was so much play in the column, it means the wheels could move left & right slightly as you drove along a bad surface resulting in having to continually adjust your steering to keep driving in a straight line.

Couldn't say with 100% conviction that just a bit of vagueness at speed could be caused by the column mate :(

Maybe its not the column then, going to change the top mounts first i think! I don`t think the koni ta`s coupled with eibach springs are doing it any favours either, So hard to get a decent compromise with 17`s i think

So some more updates..

Corrado 16v

An intermittent running problem with the car (running on 3 cylinders sometimes from cold for a few seconds, which became a minute or two, and then about 10 minutes before it hiccuped back into life) turned out to be lead 4 was utterly hosed. The end which plugs into the head literally fell off the lead when I inspected it, complete with a load of weird green corrosion. Tight month this month so dead leads removed and car stuck under cover (not before noting down the firing order!!) until I get round to ordering a new set as well as another ignition reference sensor (mine turned out to be cracked / damaged on inspection).

Corrado VR6

Trip to DG on Saturday to replace the fooked Koni suspension didn't entirely go to plan. We'd looked under the front arches when inspecting handling gremlins and seen the standard Koni bodies and lowering springs. I'd decided I didn't want the expense and (in my price bracket) uncompromising ride of coilies. So decided to retain the springs and just replace the bodies with Bilstein B4 dampers. Saturday came around and Graham whipped the front wheels off and had the shocks off and swapped really quickly. Came to the rear and... oh... the rear has coilover suspension on it. Much head scratching ensues but there's no way round it.. gonna have to get some springs ordered for the rear. The car actually has KW springs (which was also a surprise - we thought they were Eibachs) but the combo on the front seems pretty good so far. The car is more wallowy than it was before but it does ride much more comfortably (which was my main goal) and although it sits marginally taller than it did before too, I think it's a good compromise between handling, price, comfort, etc. Can't wait to get the rears done now though - Saturday hopefully if the springs come in good time :)

An expensive month or two for the cars really.

Corrado 16v

Got a fixed height column cowling through from Tekara - have yet to fit the bits but they're sitting on the passenger seat ready to be fitted. Car hasn't moved for a few weeks as I'd not ordered ignition leads for it. Mostly due to being unsure on what to get. As folks with 9A engined Corrado's will know there is an ignition reference sensor looped over one of the leads and the lead really needs to be specifically made for the 2.0 16v so that you can actually unscrew the end cap to put this sensor on. Most aftermarket leads out there don't account for this so the reasonably priced Dubpower set were out of the window, a set from VW was coming in at about £100 (according to ETKA) which is frankly daylight robbery.. and I'd also heard of quality issues with VW leads these days. Similarly couldn't bring myself to order another set of Beru ones from VWSpares as mine had only lasted 3-4 years and no more than 25,000 miles. Not good enough. Took a gamble on a set on eBay which specifically say they're for the Passat and Corrado with 9A engines and they're UK made - and only £31.

Corrado VR6

Suspension job completed at DG and so far very pleased. So now have Bilstein B4 dampers and a new set of KW springs. Plus sides are they're a reasonably priced good all round setup (£150 springs, £150'ish for the dampers) - comfortable, give a good drop, not too wallowy or anything. The only downside so far is that they squeak when going over speed humps.. I mean, not the end of the world but sort of annoying. Hope that'll go away with time :)

Cars have to take a (financial) back seat now for a while. With the suspension & associated labour, DG remap (VR) and the fixed height column and ignition leads (valver) I'm feeling rather out of pocket.

An expensive month or two for the cars really.

Corrado 16v

Got a fixed height column cowling through from Tekara - have yet to fit the bits but they're sitting on the passenger seat ready to be fitted. Car hasn't moved for a few weeks as I'd not ordered ignition leads for it. Mostly due to being unsure on what to get. As folks with 9A engined Corrado's will know there is an ignition reference sensor looped over one of the leads and the lead really needs to be specifically made for the 2.0 16v so that you can actually unscrew the end cap to put this sensor on. Most aftermarket leads out there don't account for this so the reasonably priced Dubpower set were out of the window, a set from VW was coming in at about £100 (according to ETKA) which is frankly daylight robbery.. and I'd also heard of quality issues with VW leads these days. Similarly couldn't bring myself to order another set of Beru ones from VWSpares as mine had only lasted 3-4 years and no more than 25,000 miles. Not good enough. Took a gamble on a set on eBay which specifically say they're for the Passat and Corrado with 9A engines and they're UK made - and only £31.

Ask Dave about VW Leads, he showed us a 10 month old 16V set today that had failed miserably - Did the E Bay leads allow you to refit the separate ignition sensor Jim (Link?)

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Jim

Be interested to know which leads you brought for the valver and what think of them when finally fitted.

This is one of the jobs on my list and I was going to buy the Beru ones but you may have put me off!

As I say I'm taking a gamble on them so don't know 100% that they will come apart to fit the reference sensor.. but given the alternatives (Beru fell apart, VW too expensive and reportedly gone down the pan in terms of quality, and DubSport which I know won't support the sensor) then they have to be worth a go.

These are the leads:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CORRADO-PASSAT-1- ... 4aa452374b

Will update the thread when they arrive!

Hi Jim

Would you be a sport and post a picture of the VR please. Having heard good things about these shocks, I'd be keen to see how the car sits with them and the KW springs fitted. Out of interest, which KW springs did you opt for ?

You'll probably find the squeaking is down to the new seals of the shocks or perhaps topmounts ?. They'll soften up with time I'm sure.

No problem :) Will try and get a snap in the next few days. Have started trying to cycle commute as much as possible over the last few weeks, but I should be using the car tomorrow so will try and find a clear level area to give you a good idea of how it sits.

In my opinion it's that sort of idea "not OE but how OE should have been" sort of height.. bit of clearance in the arches, not gonna scrape anywhere, etc.

The springs are just yellow KW ones which lower 40mm. I think they only do one set TBH - like these:

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/kw-60mm ... 8c9fa3a5e4

Hi Jim

Would you be a sport and post a picture of the VR please. Having heard good things about these shocks, I'd be keen to see how the car sits with them and the KW springs fitted. Out of interest, which KW springs did you opt for ?

You'll probably find the squeaking is down to the new seals of the shocks or perhaps topmounts ?. They'll soften up with time I'm sure.