Jim

Jim's Corrado - ciao to the Fiat! Hello to.. (P64)

Just realised the VR needs its MOT this coming month too.. best get it booked in ASAP! :| Fingers crossed it sails through..

Just realised the VR needs its MOT this coming month too.. best get it booked in ASAP! :| Fingers crossed it sails through..

sure it will sail through mate, and i'm looking at getting a mk4 gt tdi as the 2nd car.

sure it will sail through mate, and i'm looking at getting a mk4 gt tdi as the 2nd car.

PMSL, IIRC Jim had one of those way back on 06 to replace his G60 as it was unreliable and too expensive, the mk 4 ended up costing more in repairs than the Corrado ever did.

Every mk 4 I have plugged in for some VAG-COM action seems to have a number of faults directly proportional to the model spec, the more electronics in it the worse it is. A mate has a mk 4 4 motion with only 55k on it and despite that a good few of the sensors are shot and the interior lights have a fault on them which means they won't switch off automatically.

Best bet is to get the lowest spec diesel you can find with the least number of toys on it, less stuff to go wrong and it is only a daily snotter after all.

Strange. In 8 years and 55k my mk4 has had the following faults:

Clutch pedal broke (common fault)

Coolant hose split (suspect this was self inflicted)

Sticky radio button

It has climate, heated leather, winter pack (headlight washers, etc), auto-dimming mirror, cruise control, factory uprated DSP audio, steering wheel audio controls, etc, etc. So quite a few optional electics and they all work fine so far.

I've not VAG-COM'd it myself but it's still dealer serviced and I'm sure they would jump at the chance to sell me a sensor if they found a fault. having said that I'm now probably doomed for it to collapse in a big heap the next time I drive it :D

The MK4 wasn't too horrendous though I had some significant expenses in the time I had it:

* Cam belt change (ouch)

* Exhaust downpipe

* New alternator

Cam belt was mega pricey but didn't go to dealers for that - had it done at Stealth. Then the exhaust developed a blow which turned out to be at the cat, but the cat was integrated into the exhaust downpipe (like a single piece) so had that replaced with a milltek part which was significantly cheaper than the VW unit but still a stinger. Then the new alternator... and that was only in about 18 months motoring. There were also tonnes of jobs which needed doing (like new bushes needed everywhere) but I just never did them.

On the plus side it was a great daily. Economical (53MPG easily achievable), spacious, comfortable as you like - and no matter what anyone says, the torque of a diesel motor always makes for a great drive and the long legged 6 speed box made it quiet on the motorway. Great standard stereo system too!

MK4's are generally pretty damn reliable although the PD TDI's can be costly to repair...

In terms of known faults it's ECU relay (109), clutch pedal breaking (part is £20 and improved over the original) and electric window regs (were warranted for 7 years becuase of the issue / £50 each now)

Pleased to say the car passed the MOT :)

Few little jobs that need doing, that I think just show a VERY thorough tester... but nothing that can't be sorted with an hour or two at DG :)

Anything worth mentioning? I remember taking it for it's MOT in 2009 and remember the guy saying "F***king hell mate you obviously love your cars" :D

Think the only thing he mentioned on that MOT was the Front track control arm bush, this was a week before the front suspension overhaul ;)

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

The MK4 wasn't too horrendous though I had some significant expenses in the time I had it:

* Cam belt change (ouch)

* Exhaust downpipe

* New alternator

Cam belt was mega pricey but didn't go to dealers for that - had it done at Stealth. Then the exhaust developed a blow which turned out to be at the cat, but the cat was integrated into the exhaust downpipe (like a single piece) so had that replaced with a milltek part which was significantly cheaper than the VW unit but still a stinger. Then the new alternator... and that was only in about 18 months motoring. There were also tonnes of jobs which needed doing (like new bushes needed everywhere) but I just never did them.

On the plus side it was a great daily. Economical (53MPG easily achievable), spacious, comfortable as you like - and no matter what anyone says, the torque of a diesel motor always makes for a great drive and the long legged 6 speed box made it quiet on the motorway. Great standard stereo system too!

I do remember the clutch pedal letting you down in Ipswich on the Corrado Karting day :D

Neil - nothing too drastic. A few simple jobs, handbrake imbalanced, and a nearly perished bush on the ARB.. nothing too dreadful :) Will get onto them soon.

In other news, had a forum member come and view the red Corrado and offer me my asking price. So sadly it'll be moving on. On the plus side it will mean I can garage the VR and start saving for paintwork and stuff that I've been wanting to get done for ever.. and just use it for shows and on weekends, etc :)

good to hear that you got what you want for it and that its going to a good home!

I wouldn't say I got what I wanted for it.. in fact I was slightly shocked at how little 16v Corrado's are going for. But given it's currently SORN and without an MOT, I had to come down on the price to make it attractive.

Ho hum. Lost so much money on that car it's almost not funny.

...Ho hum. Lost so much money on that car it's almost not funny.
I wouldn't look at it like that Jim, Corrados are a) a massive hobby of yours and b) depreciated a heck of a lot less than a huge number of cars you could have been driving.

No indeed... I've never bought these cars as an investment or anything. They are my hobby... but essentially since 2006 when I got the car, and only taking into consideration purchase price of the car and and what I've spent on repairs, i've lost something like £6000... :|

and my father in law bought a mondeo in 2007 for 17 grand that is now worth 7, and it's had more go wrong with it than both your Corrados put together!

Cars will always be a money pit so you might as well have something you have some affection for :)

Very true :) It has bought me a lot of pleasure over the years.. be it taking it back to Germany and round the Ring, or just as an excuse to get together with friends and work on it :) Will be sad to see it go.

No indeed... I've never bought these cars as an investment or anything. They are my hobby... but essentially since 2006 when I got the car, and only taking into consideration purchase price of the car and and what I've spent on repairs, i've lost something like £6000... :|

I know where you are coming from there. I am toying with the idea of selling the Turbo and I am getting terrified thinking what sort of loss I will have The fun has been had so time to sort the original.

I wouldn't look at it like that Jim

Too bloody right. There really is no value in even thinking about the cost of motoring. You don't hear people coming out of relationships saying "I've lost £20K going out with that bloke / woman". You loved being with that person / car at the time and that's all that matters.

You don't hear people coming out of relationships saying "I've lost £20K going out with that bloke / woman". You loved being with that person / car at the time and that's all that matters.

20K i bloody wish it was only 20k i lost lol, but jim do what your head says and not your heart.

Red car is being picked up next week... already scouring Autotrader & PistonHeads for a daily so that the VR can take a well earned break. In the mean time, I took it on holiday to the seaside. This is not far from my parents and I've always wanted to get a picture by the sea.. finally this evening, the car was clear and it was a mild and quiet evening - headed up to the slipway for a few pics!

corradoslipway.png

corradoslipway2.png

Edited by Jim

Ooooh, nice pic Mr Bailey! 8)

What are you thinking of for a daily? Staying VAG or casting your net further afield? Don't discount Hondas :)

Red car is being picked up next week... already scouring Autotrader & PistonHeads for a daily so that the VR can take a well earned break. In the mean time, I took it on holiday to the seaside. This is not far from my parents and I've always wanted to get a picture by the sea.. finally this evening, the car was clear and it was a mild and quiet evening - headed up to the slipway for a few pics!

corradoslipway.png

corradoslipway2.png

take it you have done the mk4 rear brake upgrade, and the car ws in gear when you took that pic mate lol

I'm pondering between several different motors. Thinking of straying away from VAG to be honest! I'm looking to spend about 2k. Not worried about petrol costs too much as I live very close to work now...

Thinking it might be... an old Merc like what I had before but in better nick, a BMW 5 series (530 for example) or something along those lines! Maybe even a Volvo or something. Want something big, wafty, comfortable, quick... you get the idea.