Sign in to follow this  
big_chris1981

abs problem?

im not even sure that its a problem.....

when i collected the car, about 10 minutes into driving it, the abs light came on.

so i parked up stoped the car, started it again and the light went off.

since then its not come back on, other than at startup...until last night.

nipping down the m3 after no rice last night...possibly seeing how fast the C went...it came on at about a hundred and something naughty mph.

and went away again after i pulled up at the services, stopped and restarted.

obvious first step is to get it on vagcom....

having said that, anyone got any idea what might be dead/dying?

its been stood in a garage for 6 months so it could be something ceased/corroded?

might be worthwhile checking the ABS ECU's multi-plug connection,mine gave me some problems last year and the connection was furred up with verdi-gras crap

could just be dirty sensors/rings, give them a blow with compressed air or the like. I guess it could also be a sensor on the way out... but my bet is dirt, being magnetic the collect loads of crap!

Left rear outlet valve?

That usually means the valve block is fubar. Buy a 2nd hand one, get it fitted.

Yes.

Did the errors come back after they were cleared? So many faults might be spurious...

thats one of them :)

the p/n is 1H2 614 117A which fortunately is common on alot of mk3 chassis stuff....otherwise it would be a £800 from the stealers :o

I think you might be reading the part number of the pump sub-assembly, Roger ...?

There's separate part numbers for all the bits, because theoretically they're available separately, but in practice VW will just sell you the entire lot on the 1h2 .. part number.

I had similar issues Chris with the ABS light coming on randomly and then if you stopped for petrol and the restarted it would go off again until some other random moment. VAG.COM reported the left rear oulet valve yet everyone here recommended a new pump. I got a secondhand pump through the parts gateway Part No. 1H2 614 217 on my VR6. Part cost just over £100 and a local VW guy fitted it when my car was in for a service. All fine now 2 months on.

Let's be clear here: the pump was probably not faulty, but in almost 100% of cases, the pump is replaced at the same time as the valve block, which is what is causing the problem in your cases (and what caused my identical problems).

People tend to use the term "abs pump" when they mean pump-and-valve-block assembly.

yeah...but vw wont sell you the valve block on its own.

i get what your saying though...the ones on ebay are advertised as abs pumps.

£1000 + vat from vw.....eek.

Yeah, look for the piccies. Those guys almost certainly are selling the pump+valve block together and listing under the description "abs pump".