Sign in to follow this  
corradophil

Anybody had this happen before???

I mate who owns my old MK2 8v GTI (PB engine) has just had a complete loss of oil pressure and the usual bottom end knocking that goes with it :(

When he removed the sump one of the big end bearing cap bolts was loose :shock:

One bearing shell had spun round and was overlapping the other. There is some scoring and pitting to the inside surface of the cap. He's now got the dilema of whether it is worth putting new big end and main bearing shells in and hoping it works, or probably more likely put an engine from a breakers in.

Anyone else had this happen and got away with just new shells? The crank appears to be undamaged.

I have heard of this happening before, i read it somehwere on Clubgti... Do a search on there...

Weird one though!!!! :scratch:

I'll have a look, I have posted this on there too.

The bottom end has been untouched for at least 90,000 miles. Makes me wish I'd checked the all the bearing cap bolt torques on mine when I changed the sump gasket a couple of months ago.

That's a strange 1,the con-rod bolts are stretch types so once they were tightened 90.000miles ago i presume that they are the factory original 1's?.

Check carefully that the cap/rod aren't oval and out of round seeing as the components had partially seized.

I've personally re-used con rod bolts 3 times on various G60 engines with no problems,i'm not saying to do the same but at the end of the day it means giving the stealers 70euro for a new set every time,same as headbolts which on a few occasions i've found loose..

Seen that loads of times. It's pointless repairing it as it will fail again. Take the plunge and buy an exchange block from VAG that is less than a grand-incredible value when you consider the parts retail at more than that. The only concern over the exchange VW block is that I have had two start to rattle within a year. When we popped the rod bearings out of both, we found VW are using normal rod bearings, not the H/D Sputter G60 type, VW don’t even list a specific G60 bearings anymore, we buy them from KS. We now change the bolts/nuts and bearings on these new bottom ends before we fit them as a precaution.

I think maybe he will replace the big end shells which failed and try it, if it is no good I think he'll cut his losses and start from scratch.

They've been in there for a minimum of 90k miles, I don't know the history of the car before that, so maybe they're older than that.