Sign in to follow this  
flusted

DIY Stage 4 charger?

Now i know darren is recognized as the charger god,but im wondering to save some cash,is it possible to take a charger apart and port it,then put it back together and send it off to be serviced?

Is it just a case of seperating the casing?

If i have to disturb any seals etc to get apart then i wouldnt do it.

Has anyone got any pics of the port work done on the charger?

As you may of guessed,im fully confindent to port it,but not to take it apart :oops:

A mate of mine did one while we were at uni, it is a fair bit of work removing material and would worry me that i was going to knacker the unit as it is pretty expensive. I'll send you his pm details.

Essentially the unit isn't that complicated, it's pretty self explanatory when it's in pieces.

its not too bad a job. plenty of cleaning and stuff. get a full rebuild kit and away you go. its not bad to split. only port the oil runner slightly

my home built charger (with thanks to Gavin) has lasted about 25000 miles on the 65mm so far. its time for another build.

i dont actully fancy re-building it,just well up for porting it!

So can i port it without disturbing any seals so i can put back together and use?

Just be very careful with the apex seals - a mate of mine wrecked both parts of the outer casing of his charger whilst 'having a look' and putting it back together

i took charger apart today.Am wondering if i port the exhaust side to r1 spec and put back together,whether darren would do the rest cheap and service it?

had a look at aide's g60 engine install today doing very well looks like the 5 stud conversion is causing you more trouble fella! and im very intersted in seeing something massive at the front of the car! hope it fits mate!

your gonna love that supercharger whine

i took charger apart today.Am wondering if i port the exhaust side to r1 spec and put back together,whether darren would do the rest cheap and service it?

may be best just getting darren to do the lot, he doesent charge allot to do an r1 and he is only just across the water from you and you know it will be first class

Assuming he would even do that, I can't imagine he'd warranty any of the work if you were re-assembling the charger yourself etc.

There are some places where we can save up some pences...

But the G-Charger is not one of them!

Seriously, take it to Darren, let him do his magic!

It worth!

if you cant afford £500 then why are you doing a g60 conversion?

G60`s cost money,,,,

Cos i sold my 16v engine for £1000 and my g60 lump cost me £400 and secondhand charger cost me £300.

Billinjah, I normally use flap wheels in a drill for throttlebodys that i do,but il proberly hire a die grinder for the charger

500 quid is a lot for a 20k service and some porting which at the end of the day is what it is. 500 quid every 2 yrs or so mounts up. admitedly you are paying for darren's knowhow but a charger is less complex than its proposition is scary.

do it yourself for less than half. just buy the seal kit from darren as he has good ones.

Darren doesn't sell the seal kits seperate any more after too many people screwed up their chargers trying to save some money by doing it themselves without the proper tools or information to do it properly... ;)

really. didn't know they stopped selling them.

personally didn't think it was too much of a job. H100 vw helped me with mine last time. only issues were getting the seals to sit nice.

i doubt i could justify 500 quid on a rebuild when i take it out of the car for the new engine. i only paid 399 for my sc61 turbo brand new. id be looking for a seal kit again.

yeah, but Gav knew what he was doing, and showed you so you now know.... Imagine how easy it is for someone with a seal/bearing kit to screw up the charger by pressing in/out a bearing skewed...

Guna try and get a loan and take it to darren, will ask if he will port match the charger to my rsr