Sign in to follow this  
RogerB

Driveshaft Vibration Dampers

Hello Folks,

I'm just replacing the driver's side front wheel bearing on my VR6 (replaced the nearside last year) and noticed a rusty section on the outer end of the driveshaft where the vibration damper should be and isn't !!

I've had the car for about 18 months and there's never been a damper fitted as far as I know. Does anyone know what effect the dampers have and if running without them can cause premature wheel bearing failure? The car has only done about 65,000 miles.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks

Roger

Well the little metal weights are there for the same reason that you balance a wheel.

If you are concerned that they have fallen off and want to be sure the drive shafts are in balance there are companies around toat will measure them and afix weights if they are out, cheap to get done and worth checking if you are concerned.

Propshaft Services do it in the Northeast in Team Valley.

Chris

Well the little metal weights are there for the same reason that you balance a wheel.

If you are concerned that they have fallen off and want to be sure the drive shafts are in balance there are companies around toat will measure them and afix weights if they are out, cheap to get done and worth checking if you are concerned.

Propshaft Services do it in the Northeast in Team Valley.

Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for the response but they're not just little balance weights like you have on a propshaft they're vibration dampers set to detune frequencies in the driveshaft that might otherwise cause it to resonate and eventually fail. This is why the position along the shaft is so critical.

What I don't know is how severe the vibration is if they're not fitted and what the long-term effect might be on the adjacent parts e.g. wheel and gearbox bearings. Anyone have any experience of long-term running without the dampers?

Roger

......... hello RogerB, welcome to the forum mate, i quess the quickest answer to stop the worry of any damage being done either now or in the future is to either source another balance weight or better still, find a replacement driveshaft with damper already fitted, as chris has already mentioned, it`s there for a reason .. :thumbleft:

Hi Gaz,

Well, if no one out there knows anything about the dampers you're probably right, the answer is to get a pair and fit them anyway. Though as they're just split rings that are clamped on over a sticky pad (according to my manual) there's no need to replace the whole driveshaft.

Regards

Roger

i grinded mine off when it came loose... oh well

just have to wait and see what happens

RogerB, are you RogerBlassberg ???? with amnesia?

My damper let go a few months ago, I looked into getting a new one, but VW want around £60+vat, so mine is now running without it.

AFAIK, the VR6 never had the dampers. I've never seen a VR6 with them fitted. Come to think of it, I've never seen any of my MK2s with one either, but according to the Haynes/Bentley, they should have.

Further more, I've been driving high performance VWs since 1990 and not one of them had a damper and not one of their shafts failed :-)

Don't forget Bentley and Haynes manuals are of American origin and they got things we didn't, such as engine mount shock absorbers to reduce vibrations on concrete freeways, kneebars in the Corrado, different belts, yada yada....

Maybe I'm wrong and all VWs have the dampers and they simply fall off and join the shredded HGV tyres and exhaust pipes on the hard shoulder.....

I shouldn't worry about it. If you fit one and it, surprise surprise, falls off, what a waste of cash it would be :-)

Hello Ben,

No, I'm not Roger Blasserg with or without amnesia !!

Roger

only joking mate :drinking: last night

golfs should have em but i reckon peeps just cut em off