Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

paint with a heat laquer?????

HI guys didnt know where to put this and i have done a search but only found heat resistant paint colours!

basically as my car is off the road means i can start tidying her up doing all the jobs i've been meaning to do for ages! starting with the alloys and engine bay!

so what i was wondering i am taking my charger off next month and am gonna get it down to darren when it comes back or before it goes havent decided yet! i want to paint my charger (but i want to paint it a different colour to the normal engine colours you can get from frosts etc)

so does anyone know what is the best way to do this i.e paint as normal the possibly get a heat resistant laquer? if they do one?

cheers lads coz i havent got a clue at the moment! and this will be next job after finished polishing the borbets!

Thanks Andy

get a body shop to etch prime and use use car paint...i did my rocker cover like 6 + yrs ago and its still fine

drop M15 VW a pm, she has colour coded hers.

Nikki only had the plastic cover colour coded not the actual rocker box itself

Gav

All I can say on this is that I took advice and etch primed and then painted my charger, rocker cover and loads of other parts under the bonnet. However NONE of it lasted as it withstanded the heat but the slightest know, or tighten up a bolt against it and it just chips and flakes off.

I have now stripped it all off and powdercoated it all. I would recommend it to anyone not to bother with paint. And as to cost. The amount it cost me in ETch Primer and paint - you are cheaper powder caoting it all!!!!!!

drop M15 VW a pm, she has colour coded hers.

Nikki only had the plastic cover colour coded not the actual rocker box itself

Gav

Ah, my bad. :oops:

All I can say on this is that I took advice and etch primed and then painted my charger, rocker cover and loads of other parts under the bonnet. However NONE of it lasted as it withstanded the heat but the slightest know, or tighten up a bolt against it and it just chips and flakes off.

I have now stripped it all off and powdercoated it all. I would recommend it to anyone not to bother with paint. And as to cost. The amount it cost me in ETch Primer and paint - you are cheaper powder caoting it all!!!!!!

what paint did you use?

Blue_Joe

you are cheaper powder caoting it all

What is powder coating, bluejoe?

When I had my alloys refurbed, the guy was talking about powder coating and painting. He was making the point that, on alloys, powder coating was not as good as spray painting.

Thanks for that joe and the good link.

Sounds like my man was talking cr@p.

Didn't want to say it but...................................

I think you'll pay a premium if you go through a bodyshop - it's unlikely they'll have facilities onsite. Put it into google and see what you get on the IOW? I popped it in and came up with this company:

A D Precision Engineering Ltd

3a-3c Rink Road Industrial Estate

Ryde

PO33 2LT

Isle of Wight

Tel: 01983 810701

Fax: 01983 613987

They don't have their own website but it came up, give 'em a ring and see what they do. Make sure you see examples of their work too.