Sign in to follow this  
caaziVR6

Replacing Front Struts

I just installed 2 new Bilstien struts on the front. When I put them back together they didn't torque down right and had slight gaps between the strut tops and the car. I think my rubber mounts are shot, I can see metal showing through slightly. I want to know if it is worth replacing the bearings as well as the rubber mounts. Do they wear out and if they do how can I tell?

Thank you,

Matt Wakeman

Hi Matt-

My VR was dropped onto bilsteins when I got it. I have seen gaps between the strut tops & the car on mine but only when the car is parked with with lock on the wheels. It doesn't seem to affect anything tho & the shocks are pretty new. I would be interested to know whether that gap is a problem or not- Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Mike

I was thinking about buying a bilsteins kit for my G60 how easier job was it and what tools were required. i.e did you invest in a suspension spring compresser

Hi,

The Gap on the top mounts is normal dont worry, there should be a gap of couple of cm.

You can tell when the top mounts are gone as when you go over a bump you get a sort of clattering noise.

Its easy to change the front struts as well- as long as you have a reasonable tool kit with a strong ratchet set. You will need a big lever bar though to take off the two retaining bolts that hold the shock onto the hub carrier. Should take you about 1 hour each side.

You can get spring compressors from preety much any motorfactor like Halfords for about £20.

The rear is a different story and takes alot longer!

Hope this helps! :p