Sign in to follow this  
no_endo

very much needed

i have just driven to cornwall for a weeks holiday, after getting about 20 miles from where we are staying my vr6 started overheating!!! i managed to get it all the way by stoping everytime the water temp light started flashing which was about every 5 minutes and letting it cool for about 10 mins.

after reading other posts i think it may well be the aux pump and stat that are to blame as there is no noise coming from the engine bay while the ignition is on.

what would be a temp fix to get it back home bearing in mind i have to travel just under 300 miles. is there an easy option or do i have to buy the pump and stat and all the tools to do it!!!

please help, i dont want to have to call out a mechanic seeing as im low on funds.

Yea mine does the same, it's a nob sometimes, just let it cool down and check the water level, if it's low top it up, if it isn't then you have a problem with one of the things you said, feel the top and bottom water hoses to see if one is hotter than the other, if so it's your thermostat.

Could be poor water pump poss, the plastic bladed snap off but more than likely it's the thermostat or aux pump

Chris

Where are you staying?

I reccommend you get it over to RK Engineering in St Agnes, they'll sort it out for you.

ok i didnt manage to get to rk engineering as they seemed pretty busy but the guy i spoke to pretty much worked out it is the thermostat and told me it would be ok to take it out just to get me home.

is this right? has anyone ever tried this before?

Yeah, it's a standard procedure for a dodgy thermostat in the summer. It just means water will circulate through the radiator from the off so the car will warm up slightly slower. You won't really notice it on a warm day but it'll mean no heater for longer in the winter!