Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

M.O.T. BAD!!!!

Put my car in for it's M.O.T. today. Had a call from the tester and I have a few problems.

1 - Offside rear calliper is buggered.

2 - Hole in exhaust (not a problem)

3 - Brake bias valve is seized

4 - Both rear wheel bearings are shot along with drivers front wheel bearing.

5 - Nearside rear shock is leaking.

Main problem is that I'm not sure what type of shocks are on the car. I know that is is lowered using springs and uprated shocks but which type is a mystery.

Any ideas as to roughly the cost of getting the above work done?

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

Are you getting them to do the work then? Your main cost will be labour so it depends how familiar they are with a corrado really. The brake bias valve will probably free off, might be cheaper to replace the calliper than let them strip and rebuild it as it'll keep labour costs down. I'd replace both the rear shockers, unless they're quite new. The play might come out of the bearings if they tighten the hub nuts up slightly - it's a bodge but could get you a ticket and then replace them in your own time. If they do replace the bearings it might be worth doing all 4, unless you do the final front one yourself after its MOT'd. Ask for the fooked calliper back if they do replace it, have a go at rebuilding it (unless you know how to already) and then you can do the other rear one to as new condition with minimum head scratching.

Good luck with it,

Gav

Id consider going for mk4 calipers with goodridge hoses,the wifes car hada caliper seize and we have never had trouble since with the mk4's

thats a £100+ in parts already.

you could as said before nip up the back wheel bearings,were they noisy ?

Our exhaust had a hole in it too,we just gum gummed it and its still holding a year later,I just cant justify £200 for a stainless one for the end.

At the end of the day mate, are you keeping it or selling it?

Thats how I tend to decide if Im keeping up with it or giving in.

Roy

It's going chubbz.

Got a price back, not as bad as I thought. £325 and that includes the price of the M.O.T.

brake compensator valve normally just needs a spray with Plus Gas, leaving for 30 minutes and then hitting with a hammer and then wiggling around to free it off....

My corrados have consistantly almost failed their mot on them. If it weren't for them being friendly MOT testers that know their way around VWs I'd have replaced quite a few rather than just doing the above by now... ;)

He's going to free it up with hopefully the above methods (big hammer is always good).

Henny, how is your hunt for passat/a4/avant going? I'm getting myself a diesel and fancy one of the above. Any pointers/tips?

all car hunting has stopped because:

1) I need to sell at least one more of my 3 cars (already got rid of one when I sold the house!)

2) I get married in December and need the cash

3) We're house hunting and another car isn't a priority at the moment...

Pointers?

Find yourself a nice, high milage Passat TDI 110 for cheap money with a good service history, throw a re-chip at it and save a bit of cash back to sort out any niggles that may crop up as they're proving to be pretty bomb proof from what I've seen... My mate's just got one for 2.3K on a 02 plate with 120K miles that's been well loved and it's a little cracker! 8) Either that, or get the Skoda or Seat version for even less cash and de-badge it! ;) :lol:

4th one, yeah, not the 5th though as it's the same car in the 3rd and has had the "dealer" factor added to the price...

Get one of these at Auction and you'll get it for about £1900! :crazyeyes:

WHAAAAAAT!!!!!! That cheap???? Didn't spot that was from a dealer matey, good call. There has to be something majorly wrong with it to be for sale at that price?

*Off to get prices for sorting out my car before I sell it*

147K miles of pure sales-rep usage would be why it's soooo cheap... ;)

B5 Passats are indeed bomb proof and fantastic comfort.

Loving every second of mine!

They're so cheap 'cos they've just been superceeded again, making them 2 models out of date - but as the B5 Passat is the same of the Mk4 Golf, they're not that ancient really.

Supposed to be picking the car up today but so far I've not heard anything. Hopefully no news is good news. I'll keep you guys posted.

Edit: - Garage has phoned. Car is ready. Picking it up soon and then I can get the bastid taxed for another year.

Got the car back and my wallet is a bit lighter now. Thats me for another year. Just need to find my V5 document so I can tax it!!!

Got my re-test on Monday after numerous fails...

Multiple brake pipes rusting

Hoses disintergrating

Nearside balljoint knackered

Nearside sill rusty

Rear lights flashing red

1 tyre was just a failure

...fingers crossed.