Sign in to follow this  
the punisher

So whats this then?

6b575868.jpg

arrow is pointing to a container in a corrado engine bay, in side is some nasty smelling liquid. two pipes come from this container one goes to the front under the radiator where then the pipe is connected to a metal pipe and reconnects to a pipe the goes back into the engine bay, the other pipe disapears into the engine bay.

Is it to do with the power steering ? Can the power system be removed? and the steering still be used?

Thanks

Joel

PS pump oil bottle,smelly fluid?,change it.

Can the power steering be removed?,well yes but why??,with the weight of that VR lump across the front wheels it seems like a silly idea IMO.

Steering is bloody heavy with a 2.0 16V lump - I'd hate to think what it'd be like on a VR :?

Try manoeuvring without the engine running, such as if you have it stall when coming up to a roundabout. Then you'll realise that it's dangerous to have no PAS. Totally impossible to turn the wheel when the car is stationary.

Replace the fluid with the VAG green stuff, not red automatic transmission fluid.

Best wishes

RB

Dont forget engine is going into a MK2 golf for drag racing so power steering not really a must, last time i was on a drag strip it was straight ;-) lol ...and can shed some weight by ditching it all im a big strong lad so im sure i can trun the wheel when i need to once its rolling i dout it wil be that bad

Im thinking leave the pump in i assume its run from the belt on the left of the engine and i can ditch every thing else... i will probably use the steering rack from golf as the corrado is basically a golf with a diffrent shape body

J

get hold of an early Golf steering rack which isn't PAS and you'll probably be OK, but it'll still be heavy...

Taking the PAS off will also free up some horses from the engine too as it won't be driving the pump all the time too... ;)

get hold of an early Golf steering rack which isn't PAS and you'll probably be OK, but it'll still be heavy...

Taking the PAS off will also free up some horses from the engine too as it won't be driving the pump all the time too... ;)

nice thanks peeps just had to confirm that

Joel

my metro was heavy(ish) on the steering, so a VR would be a nightmare, try it with the engine off as suggested above ;)

['H3R4POR]my metro was heavy(ish) on the steering' date=' so a VR would be a nightmare, try it with the engine off as suggested above ;)[/quote']

that's not quite fair as you're having to push against the fluid in the PS rack.

In theory a manual rack on the C shouldn't be any heavier than a golf2 with manual steering, most of the GTI's up to 1990 were non PAS, would be interesting to see the steering feel of a Corrado with a manual rack though, it might be pretty good.

David.

mate of mine has a MKII GTI without P/S and while it's heavy, it's sooooo much more positive to drive....

My old MKI 16V was seriously heavy on the steering but was sooo much fun to drive 'cos of the steering feedback that I still miss it now, 8 years after I last drove it! :crazyeyes:

Is there anything wrong with the C you're taking the negine out of?

Would be a shame to kill a VR just for the engine :(

I've had the PAS fail on my last VR and trust me, you don't wanna be trying that unless you've got arms like Popeye...

steering only goes uber heavy as your fighting against the PAS system with the hydralic fluid in.. im sure the car will be fine with just a rack... heavey in a slow parking situation yes, but once rolling you would be surprised how easy it will steer and the steering will be so much more responsive...

Joel

I'd never remove a working PAS system from a Corrado, it's weighted really well and alot better than systems on many modern cars...

I'd never remove a working PAS system from a Corrado, it's weighted really well and alot better than systems on many modern cars...

Fair enough...

anyone wanna buy a working PAS system from a corrado its alot better then any modern systems :lol:

Joel