Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

16v Oil temp too high

Car seemed to run a bit too hot when I first bought it, so changed the fan switch and coolant. However, it's still reaching the same temps. Water always stays around 95-100, and the oil has been going up to 116, whilst doing a steady 80mph :? This defo seems too high to me.

Could the thermostat need a change? Maybe the fan switch I bought was a duff one? Oil cooler?

Any ideas?

Cheers.

The oil temp sender is on the back of the head behind number 4, what colour is the plastic ring around the body under the connection disc?

Water always stays around 95-100, and the oil has been going up to 116, whilst doing a steady 80mph :? This defo seems too high to me.

Same as mine, since I changed my thermostat and water pump too

That's the same as my friend's 2.0 16v as well. After my 1.8 16v that runs at 90 degrees water and 100 degrees oil I was rather alarmed when I borrowed it.

When I employed some local chimps :p to change my clutch they managed to put the fan motor plug on the wrong way round (it had to come off???!) :censored: meaning that when the temp went up at speed, airflow through the radiator was fairly negated which gave me 120C water and 134C oil :shock: :shock: .

How the head survived I really don't know, the gods were smiling that day.

I found myself a VW Indie in Nick Youngs Garage, Gasoline Alley, Wrotham. Top bloke 8)

Crasher, sorry mate, you've lost me! :oops: Just had a look, and couldn't work it out. Got any pics?

Cheers

On the back of the head to the left of the dizzy and almost directly below the left rear (as looking from inside the car) cam cover gasket bolt, there is a small brass bodied sender with a 14-mm across flats spanner fitting and a small disc shaped connector with a green and black wire going to it. Above the spanner flats, there is a small plastic ring that is either black or white. Be careful when removing/refitting this sender as it is easy to snap them off flush and when removed, quite a lot of oil will run out. The thread is M10x1, non-taper.

Thanks mate. Found it, completely gunked up with old oil. Cleaned it carefully. It has a white plastic ring- any significance whether it's black or white?

Do you reckon it's worth changing?

The correct sender should have a white ring so that's OK. An 8v uses a sender with a black ring due to the cooler location. The VW part number is 049 919 563 A.