Sign in to follow this  
iow_corrado_g60

G60 lightened fly wheel??? what you think??

G60 lightened fly wheel is it worth opinions please lads?

also can someone explain exactly what a lightened flywheel gives over a standard one? (other than the obvious for all smart arses)

Cheers Andy

It allows engine to spin up and down more freely. downsides can be struggling to go up hills as the lighter flywheel cannot store as much energy.

I have a seriously lightened one on mine,its less than half its weight

it all helps,weight lost at the flywheel will gain bhp at the wheels as its less of a trnasmission loss

deffo worth it...

Only downside I've ever come across with lightening the flywheel (and this is the 4th car I've had one on and about the 10th I've fitted one to!) is that coming to a complete stop, you need to dip the clutch a little earlier than you normally would else you'll stall the engine...

Upsides are that it allows the engine to rev up (and down) MUCH faster than normal...

Silly question. :oops:

If I was to get a fidanza style flywheel, which one fits a valver? I know they are different to a Vr6, but they are also ar*eways compared to a 16v Golf so they don't fit either....... :?

I've been debating the pro's and cons for a lightened flywheel too.

Surely VW made them the weight they are for a very good reason? It would infact cost them less to make a lighter one to start with after all.

Also, the VR one at least is balanced as it will only fit in one position, which I presume has to do with DTC otherwise why bother balancing it?

And, momentum is related to weight, hence these lightened ones cannot hold the same momentum, which is surely going to be a problem with say mid range pickup wether you're going up a hill or not?

They allow the engine to spin up and down quicker? - but surely thats only when the clutch is in or your in nuetral (as a few kgs off the flywheel compared to the weight of say the wheels/brakes etc and the friction of moving a car is surely negligable?) , so what's the advantage in that?

I've decided it's not worth 4-500 quid and just stuck a new OE one in!?

Am I missing something?

Dutch

downsides can be struggling to go up hills as the lighter flywheel cannot store as much energy.

nah I am not having that. A car pushing out upwards of 160bhp is not going to struggle up a hill because its got a lighter flywheel. I can see what you are getting at but I think its not going to have any detrimental effect at all.

Dutch, imo vw make these flywheels so the cars can be driven by every one on the planet, eg grannys going to the shops women (no offence lol) etc.

the only downside is like henny says its easier to stall them if you are not careful. Theres one on my list..

I see what your saying, but how many granny's use a C VR to go shopping?

The R32 one is even heavier than the Vr6, again it's not going to be driven by your *average* driver.

Also the VR stalls easily enough on it's own, without helping it by fittinng a lightened flywheel.

I'm still not convinced. Would you for example see any improvement over 0-60 times or top end with no other mod made? I reckon you'd see a rise in the mid range acceleration times, which in the real world is where it matters.

I, as usuall, do not actually know what I'm talking about though, so somebody please educate me on these things!!

Dutch

The weight of the standard flywheel on any car is designed to make gear changes smoother and to give the engine enough momentum so that when coming to a halt, the engine doesn't just stop turning once the clutch is dropped.

Lightening the flywheel will IMPROVE mid-range acceleration as you're not having to try and spin up a much heavier weight. Top end I doubt you would see any difference over a standard flywheel, but acceleration through the rev range would be improved enough to actually measure, due to the loss of extra weight that the engine has to spin in order to get the car to move/accelerate....

I've fitted a lightened flywheel to a 1200 beetle in the past and the difference was night and day... made the car feel like it was a much bigger engine than it was, almost motorbike like...

Oh, and all flywheels are balanced from the factory... if anyone buys a flywheel which hasn't been dynamically balanced after it was lightened then they're just asking for trouble as it will happily shake the engine to bits and make for a very nasty driving experience... :|

Fair enough, thanks Henny :)

So the Fidanza is lightened AND balanced for the specific model it's intended for from the factory?

I presume the effect is more noticable on less powerful engines though, and the OE flywheel heavier on these than on more powerful ones?

Dutch

the Fidanza one is a custom made flywheel which is substantially lighter than a standard one, it's not a lightened flywheel, it's a lightER flywheel... (and yes, they're well balanced!)

Mine has been lightened by a machining company who have litterally put it into a lathe and taken material off the back of it to make it substantially lighter. It was then balanced dynamically (ie it was spun quickly and balanced rather than trying to balance it while it's stationary)

the "hill" thing is utter horseshit, brough about by Gran Turismo.

it's nonsense.

you'll find you have to give it a little more revs to pull away, which doesn't help out the life of the clutch, but the effect it has is quite incredible, it makes the car feel lighter!

a few figures (some official, others picked up over the years so may not bee 100%)

R32 32lb

VR6 18lb

Fidanza 6lb

I have a fidanza one in mine BTW.

Why is the R32 one so heavy then?

An R32 must have enough torque to run without a flywheel and not stall and if a VR one can keep a VR running it should be able to keep an R32 running surely?

Dutch

I don't know mate, but if it does I would like to know why? :)

It must have some advantages else why make it so heavy?

Dutch

R32 is a dual mass clutch for smoother gear changes (for the regular road users who VW think can't actually drive for toffee and will happily pay out silly money every 60K miles when the dual mass flywheel goes wrong and needs replacing...) /soapbox

My take on dual mass:

the flywheel has some spring loaded weights in it that make up its mass. on accelerating and decelerating the the weights move toward the center of the crank, and in the same way an ice skater spins faster when she pulls her arms in the flywheel has effectively less mass. then at constant speed and idle the weights return to their furthest out position thus having a greater effective mass for smooth idle, gentle pulling away etc.

see you could have 2 solid flywheels the same mass, but if one holds all its mass at its outer edge and the other has it close to the point of rotation then they will have very different characteristics indeed.

IThankYouVeryMuch ahu

My take on dual mass:

the flywheel has some spring loaded weights in it that make up its mass. on accelerating and decelerating the the weights move toward the center of the crank, and in the same way an ice skater spins faster when she pulls her arms in the flywheel has effectively less mass. then at constant speed and idle the weights return to their furthest out position thus having a greater effective mass for smooth idle, gentle pulling away etc.

see you could have 2 solid flywheels the same mass, but if one holds all its mass at its outer edge and the other has it close to the point of rotation then they will have very different characteristics indeed.

IThankYouVeryMuch ahu

dont you mean the weights move out (under centrifugal force) at high RPM giving you more momentum, and move in at low RPM to make it easier to spin the flywheel up?

dont you mean the weights move out (under centrifugal force) at high RPM giving you more momentum, and move in at low RPM to make it easier to spin the flywheel up?

no. I meant exactly what I said. Theres no point what so ever in having large flywheel at high revs.

what you want is a light flywheel on acceleration/deceleration, and a heavy flywheel for idling and steady cruise.

dragging this one up from the grave :)

so - lightened g60 flywheel or is it worth buying a lighter flywheel (e.g. fidanza)? what are the aftermarket options?