Sign in to follow this  
matthewb1985

PINKING - 2.0 16 valve - help - Update

my 2.0 16v pinks alot when the engine has warmed up, under load in all gears. what can cause the car to pink?

the timing is ok so its not that

any suggestions appreciated

Firstly, check the timing is set correctly. 9As are 6 deg BTDC.

I'm assuming it is a 9A on KE-Motronic. If it is try cleaning the plugs for the knock sensors, if that doesn't work make sure their cables are not damaged and make sure the knock sensors are not damaged, and the securing bolts are tightened to the correct torque, whcih is critical.

Knock sensors are there to sense pinking and retard the timing to stop it, so on a correctly set up engine that is what they do.

Definately worth checking it or them in the case of a 9a which has two.

yeah i sounded completely thick then.... :oops:

I am just wondering how much the knock sensor will retard timing, is there a upper and lower limit?

I take it the reaction of the knock sensor to the ecu would be in an instant??

The timing is retarded very quickly, its a long time ago since I read up on it, but from memory it retards by something like 30 degrees and then advances it again, all this happens in a very short time period, so you don't really notice it when driving.

I've never heard mine pink, but my Mk2 Golf 8v used to pink under load, and that was always temporarely cured by cleaning up the multi pin connector for the knock sensor.

i only ask as i am getting a pinking problem on mine?? darren has said its due to my custom map being slightly over advanced, but the more i think about it i am starting to think the knock sensor may be faultly as the car pinks under load, without any retard cutting in, surely if i can hear the pinking this may mean the sensor is not picking up any knocking??

9A 2.0 engines have only 1 knock sensor,ABF 2.0 mills have got 2 and they have different non mech.injection systems,i'm turning into such a fu##ing anorak..

9As with Ke-motronic have two knock sensors, bolted to the front of the block between cyl 1+2 and 3+4.

mike_g60, I'm not sure how effective the knock sensor would be if the map is wrong, but it is well worth confirming the knock sensor is working correctly.

well tonight i have removed both knock sensors given them a clean put them back on,but not reconnected them to see if it pinks with out them connected.

And guess what?

it didnt pink and the mpg on the mfa was behaving more like it should.

this is telling me that the engine is in fact set up correctly, but the knock sensors were too tight & sensitive causing my timing to retard causing the pinking in the fist place.

well tonight i have removed both knock sensors given them a clean put them back on,but not reconnected them to see if it pinks with out them connected.

And guess what?

it didnt pink and the mpg on the mfa was behaving more like it should.

this is telling me that the engine is in fact set up correctly, but the knock sensors were too tight & sensitive causing my timing to retard causing the pinking in the fist place.

:? if the ignition is retarded you'll loose power but it will be less likely to pink. Does sound like they weren't operating right though.