Sign in to follow this  
popper

head gasket gone!

Have just had my car in to garage, and have been told that my headgasket has gone. Been told I could be looking at upto £1300 for the head and a new heater matrix(may or may not be needed as i have a leak - possibly from headgasket going), does this sound expensive or is it just me?

Mentioned to the guy about it possibly being the oil/heat exchanger before it went in, and he agreed that it could be a possibility - but after testing he is sure its the headgasket.

Gutted.

that is very expensive for a HG change. 3-600 is closer to what it should be. Its not that hard of a job.

One thing is you have not said which car you have....

Its a VR.

Anyone know anywhere around Shropshire or North Wales areas that could do a good job/price?

I was quoted 3 times that by VW in Oxford.

if he's done a compression test then time to get the wallet out.

one thng worth looking at is a Golf Gasket, apparently they are 'better' and are a perfect fit.

that is very expensive for a HG change. 3-600 is closer to what it should be. Its not that hard of a job.

One thing is you have not said which car you have....

Totally agree, £1300 is ridiculous. Get another quote mate. Parts are only about £100, £1200 is a lot of labour.

Thought it sounded a lot, the quote is including head being reskimmed etc. Has anyone on here had there headgasket done? and how much have you paid? Help much appreciated. :cry:

there are a number of threads about HeadGaskets

if you search for "headgasket" then you'll be able to find some info

Have phoned around a couple of places, dubsport have quoted 350+vat for a headgasket change, about another 50ish if it needs head reskimming.

Garage its at now are quoting 8-900 inc vat for everything, hes told me that you could cut corners but he wouldnt recommend it.

Thing is I know the garage its at now would do a top job, but dubsport is half the price. Anyone have experience of this companies work?

I dont know what to do, want to spend as little as possible - but dont want a 'cut corners' job that could cost me more in the long run.

think the first blok is takeing you for a ride. as said £100 on parts leaves a lot of unaccounted for money if you ask me. I have had no dealings with dubsport but maybe some one on here has.

End of the day anyone can do a bad job for any price just depends on the garage in question as to if its done well.

I would say, however, that £350 would be able to cover the costs with no corners cut. you could look at ghetting the chains changed etc whilst the head is off, there is loads of info on that and im sure i read that people are gettinh that kind of work done for 5-600

something worth baring in mind, when VW thought mine had gone I rang Vince at Stealth and he said he wouldn't work on the Head without replacing the Chains, as he didn't want to be the last one to have the head off before they went (fair enough), so when he quoted me he was quoting for Chains too.

I think if Vince says the Chains should be done then they should (unless they have already been done recently?), as your just gonna pay all that labour for taking it apart and putting it back together again.

It had timing chains done less than 25k ago, so should be sound. Out of interest how much were you quoted from stealth? - ive been trying to phone them but cant get an answer.

tbh I'm struggling to remember, around the 1,600 quid mark I think, includng the chains, but don't quote me on that.

mine ended up not being the gasket, just VW being f*cktards, 60 quid on HT leads and the problem was fixed

erm, is this a quote for just doing the headgasket, or for also taking out the dash, fitting a new heater matrix and then putting back the dash?

If it includes the dash out and back in again part, then it's not too over the top a price for a dealer to be honest... You're looking at a good 5 hours labour to change the heater matrix if they know what they're doing, 8 if not...

yeah, that sounds like what I was quoted on, that was well over 2 years ago now.

that work obviously didn't include the dash, that Henny was talking about

Hes saying aprox £1300 for headgasket, skim, and new heater matrix if required, £8-900 if not.

labour price of £400 for the heater matrix isn't bad to be honest (works out at around £50 an hour labour for the book time on doing a matrix)

Having never worked on a VR6 (yet!) I don't know prices or timings for doing a head on one... :|

Booked the car in at a guy in Stoke who seems to come well regarded on this forum and the vr6 owners forum. Seems like a nice guy and quoted me £300 inc vat for the headgasket, and another £40 odd if it needs head skimming. Dont think this sounds too bad really, hes also gonna take a look at my leak - he doesnt think it sounds like the heater matrix.

This corrado ownings fun isnt it?

im just having my head done as part of the chains/clutch fiasco....cos its on its way out....

gasket and all the bolts from vw is about £120+ vat retail.

then depends if you decide to change manifold gaskets and stuff too.....can turn into a quite parts intensive job depending on how anal you are.

that sounds like a bargain tbh popper, glad your getting it sorted mate :)