Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

What Car? - Sub

Jim, I still stand by the W8 passat, loadsa car for sub 10k. leaves change for rims, black in manual yes please!

Why do people have to keep changing my mind!?

I was set on an S3 after seeing a black one on 18" RS4's yesterday, now you say the driving experience is boring - is it easy to make it more interesting?

Costs etc?

I really like the look of them

Porsche 968 is starting to leave my dreams, can't believe how expensive 993's still are!

The only problem with the Passat is that it appears to have an enormous depreciation problem!

can't believe how expensive 993's still are!

supply and demand my dear boy supply and demand :wink:

Passat's are for old people - sorry

Darren @ gwerks Passat is the only one I've seen that looks good

I think it's going to be an S3, need to sell the Beamer and VR6 now

Funny how its an old mans car until you lower it, add a few cosmetic tweaks and put some good wheels on it and it somehow becomes an entirely different car!

Honda Integra DC5 gets my vote!

fantastic handling as well as looks and a bullet proof highly tunable engine!

Lg48604-01.jpg

Lg48604-02.jpg

Recaro's and Brembo's as standard as well as 220bhp and a red line at 8,650rpm! 8)

insurance isnt that much either at under a grand fully comp for a year with A-Plan! 8)

............ that is if you could accept driving a rice burner :wink: i know i would :lol:

hrrrmm nice option, colleague has a dc5 and they look the part (in blue not white) they go well too

could you cope with the nod of approval from the toni and guy staff ;)

that does look nice tho :oops:

what about an RX8?

It went for £19.5k!

PPI front bumper also - thought it was an RS4 front

That is no hair dressers car, way too mean looking

Imagine those looks with the turbo Biggerbigben has on his Corrado 4x4 1.8T

hmmmm

what we need is a topgear cool wall created by women including cars which are a few years old.

I can quite understand the 'not getting in a subaru' comment, most women think scoobys/evos/skylines are big daft boys toys with stupid plastic bits all over them... unless they're petrolheads or skanky cruise tarts.

I quite like scoobys and evos (not so keen on skylines though).....I'm now trying to decide if I'm a petrolhead or a skanky cruise tart :wink:

Integra Type R DC5...... good suggestion!! Great cars if you're a keen driver, not so great if you're a cruiser. Much better interior quality compared to the Civic TR though and a better engine too......but you'd expect that with the price difference between the two.....and you missed off the LSD from the spec list too ;-) Not that it has enough torque to spin an inside wheel :-)

The black TT is smart.....but it's mutton dressed as lamb imo. No matter what you do to a TT it will remain a TT. If the image doesn't bother you, then it's not a bad car tbh.....not as shoddy dynamically as people make out. Uber grip, just schitt steering.

get a test drive in an s3 and see if you like it. i have to admit i bought mine before ever driving one and i wasnt disappointed.

if you really dont think its quite right then try mods in this order

£free 32psi front and 36psi rear tyre pressures

£100ish rear ARB from r32

£600ish H&R springs and bilstein shocks.

know your kind of set on an S3 or TT, and ive missed a few pages in this tread but has anyone said alfa 147 gta (only thought of it because i passed one on the way home!).

very tasty looking, you dont see many of them, 3.2 24v V6!!!!!

.....and you missed off the LSD from the spec list too ;-) Not that it has enough torque to spin an inside wheel :-)

ah i just forgot as i take it for granted seeing as all the Teg's both DC2 and DC5's have it.......

its definately got enough power to constitute the LSD as well as you can really feel it in the corners compared to a CTR. the other advantage over the CTR is that i doesnt have the awful EPS steering so its much more responsive and you can feel what the car is doing the way you should!

the Alpha 147 GTa is really nice and was a contender when my mate bought his DC5 but its an Alpha at the end of the day so your going to suffer from horrific depreciation and the only way you could live with that is if yourplanning to keep it for a lifetime so it wouldnt matter

I agree with RADO.001, don't really like integra's, S3 looks bland and too much like normal A3's, and I don't care what anyone says every TT I've ever seen looks like a hairdresser's car (that black one looks like it belongs to a butch stylist).

The 147 GTA on the other hand looks fantastic and sticks out amongst boring modern cars, and according to Top Gear you can't class yourself as a car enthusiast until you've owned at least one Alfa.

i wouldnt say that the new teg looks like your average modern day boring car to be honest but everyone has different taste and im suprised i havnt been flamed for suggesting a rice burner :lol:

i love the 147 GTA but i could never bring myself to buying one because of the depreciation...... unless they have already depreciated considerably and buying it wouldnt require me getting a loan.

i can see people's point with the true enthusiast has to have owned an alfa though as they really are something special and the 147 GTA stands out from the crowd saying class, power and prowess...... i love em! 8)

gotta be in red with these alloys though :wink:

dms_alfa_romeo_147_gta_01.jpg

I'd love an Alfa GTA in metallic black with tan leather but would be to scared to spend my own money on one!! Went for a thrash in my S3 last night, really can't believe how shockingly bad the body control is. H&R ARB's tomorrow and hopefully full suspension kit at the end of the month. If that doesn't sort it, its got to go!!!

Just remember what the car is based on Lee, before being too hard on it. You can sort MK4 chassis out so you should be able to see improvments on the S3 too.

I like those 147 GTAs too. Compared to other hatches, they have tonnes of character and the best V6 engine......ever. I really don't like Alfas in general, but the 147 GTA is prolly the only one that could sway me.

There is a top italian tuner in the UK that can sort the 147's chassis short comings and then it's a beast of a thing....

The MK5 GTI is still the one for all round ability tho.....but you have to pay handsomely for it :-(

My step bro has a 147 selespeed - it has had a new alternator, engine and none of this was covered by Alfa - it has 40k and a full alfa sh as well. My BMW had a new engine for free!

Alfa's are a disgrace

Lee - let me know aht you think of the S3 when you've done the tweaking, surely it's not that bad standard.

I think the S3 looks very different to a standard A3 - same as an M3 to a normal 3 series.

That black TT looks awesome! so does the silver one on page 1!

I'm getting tempted by a 330 also...

I'm not driving that white honda washing machine - still tempted by an S2000 though and the Elise S2 looks very nice

Yeah but the selespeed is known to be a pile of pig swill. I doubt many V6s have been replaced as they're good engines. Bit cr@p Alfa don't cover it though!

Interestingly, the GTAs I've seen on the trader are all low mileage ones!

The difference between an M3 and a normal 3 is substantially greater than the difference beteen an A3 and an S3....imo.

330Cis are a nice drive so long as it's not an electric steering example.

I wouldn't say the Integ is a washing machine. Massively under rated and none of the cars you're short listing would be anywhere near it on twisty B roads, apart from the Elise, but they can be too understeery when pushed.