Sign in to follow this  
RADO.001

focus ST?

mate of mine i play footy with has just got him self a ford focus ST on the never never, and keeps telling me that he'll wip the floor with me if he see's me on the road! i dont tenned to read up on fords so dont know alot about them, is he wright or am i going to have to teach another one of my team mate a leason (already showd one of them with a uk 210bhp scoooby turbo how to drive :lol: )???

They're rather heavy, and FWD :? (Rather corrado like)

Not sure on their handling, just don't hope he has the blufin upgrade :)

Think they might beat a Vr6, but I don't know, maybe depends on driver..

You should get owned. :o Dosen't look as if you have a charger.

"0-60 in 6.5 seconds, tops out at over 150mph and has a solid wall or torque from 1,600rpm to 4,000rpm that means, like the Golf, there aren’t any holes or hiccups in its power delivery."

Would be close, I should imagine. Those specs are very similar- Evo has the VR at 6.2 secs and 144 mph...

afraid no charger at the mo Geordie, but the guy drove his last car (clio 182 i think?!) like a sunday shoper!!!

Like so many comparisons it depends on so many variables - roads, weather, standing start or rolling start, driver nerve and ability. I beat an M3 CSL this morning but it was in a traffic jam over about a mile :D

Cazza16v, its hard to tell the way my mate drives! i think they look ok in black (which he has), not keen on the wheels and the interior is naff: cloth black & grey recaro's (not very spoty to sit inor look at) a few crome bits and ALOT of grey plastic!

Of the cars in its class the Focus ST is pretty near the top, good strong engine, great chassis, good VFM. Aren't all interiors (including the Rado) full of grey / black plastic, at least its good quality slush moulded stuff in the Focus. If I was in the market for that kind of car it would be a close run thing between the Golf GTi and the ST, the Golf would probably get my vote if only for its stronger residuals

The ST gets amazing reviews and handles absolutely brilliantly mate. Its a little twitchy on B roads but on A roads its amazing. My personal opinion would be if he's gonna use the ST to it's best ability then you're gonna have a very close race.

just don't hope he has the blufin upgrade :)

Yeah, 255hp and 273lb/ft torque. According to superchips, there is potential for a lot more, but tbh, you would expect there to be being a 20V 2.5 engine. I'm sure the same engine in the Volvo T5-R could be boosted to 280hp fairly easily and cheaply.

As standard, it's quite a laggy engine by all accounts (the blue fin smoothes it over a bit), and that's where the VR6 would have a small advantage. In a straight line the differences wouldn't be huge. on the twisties the Focus would win, purely because it's a brand new, torsionally rigid shell with bang up-to-date suspension - against a 12 year old Corrado shell and 30 year old suspension technology. No contest.

Even MK1 Focuses seem to keep with my car on the twisties unless I drive like an idiot, not to be under estimated!

One of the most surprising cars I've ever driven was a MK1 Focus TDi over in Marbella a couple of years ago when I was working for Ford Europe, the thing had a great blend of responsive steering with great feel and a really nice compromise between grip and ride

Yeah good cars and those Peugeot/Citroen built TDi engines are sound.

If you like hanging onto steering wheels, the Focus RS is probably one of the fastest point-to-point cars around 8)

If you like hanging onto steering wheels, the Focus RS is probably one of the fastest point-to-point cars around 8)

RS or ST? Or both?

Tell me about it, managed to grab a drive of an RS at the Lommel test track, once you'd worked out that you needed to be pretty brutal with it it was astonishing, don't know if I could have lived with one on a day to day basis

RS or ST? Or both?

RS, haven't driven an ST yet :lol: Might pop down to Ford one lunchtime this week and take one out.

Not all RSs are torque steer monsters though. It was the ultra abused press demo that gave the car it's bad reputation. Probably had worn bushes or something.

I believe a couple of the Press RS's had RPJ dampers (Richard Parry-Jones) that heightened the torque steer but improved outright grip, I had a set of RPJ dampers on one of my Racing Pumas and the car was a totally different drive to when it had the standard Eibach dampers

RS, haven't driven an ST yet :lol: Might pop down to Ford one lunchtime this week and take one out.

Erm... how do you go about test driving cars without lookin like you're only there to have a little fun? Or does that not bother you how you come across?

Ford dealer staff should automatically offer you a test drive - its an integral part of their sales process, just like Volkswagen. If they don't let you drive one kick up a fuss and threaten to speak to Customer Relations, failing their CSI target could cost them a lot of money