Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Merc 190 cosworth VS Corrado G60

Sorry to pull another comparison thread but my G/F's little brother has just brought a Merc 190 cosworth (apparantly 204bhp stock)

Now is my little corrado G60 going to get an arse whipping. I've got the standard 68mm pulley and chip. nothing else

If he is going to take the mick i might have to go visit Darren sooner rather than later.

Stuff is going on ebay as i type (i'm not kidding)

Cheers

Chris Beavis

I'd say it'd be fairly close on account of the Mercedes' weight. I'd give him the edge though.

Did you get that Golf working?

He won't push his car - I very nearly bought one but the running costs frightened me, I'd have been scared of driving it the way it deserved. Is it the 2.3 or 2.5he's got, the only true Cosworth is the earlier 2.3, the later 2.5's had their heads built by Mercedes themselves, no cracking manifold problems with the 2.5's though, a lot less character as well

yeah i did, PM me your paypal addy.

It was the cambelt not the ECU but i'll pay for the spare.

Cheers

Don't worry about it. Glad you got it sorted either way.

He won't push his car - I very nearly bought one but the running costs frightened me, I'd have been scared of driving it the way it deserved. Is it the 2.3 or 2.5he's got, the only true Cosworth is the earlier 2.3, the later 2.5's had their heads built by Mercedes themselves, no cracking manifold problems with the 2.5's though, a lot less character as well

yip scary running costs or rather repair bills..............mechanic at the place my bro-in-law used to get his HGV's sorted had one and quickly got rid when he blew a hole in the head.......IIRC Mercedes wanted £7k+ for a new head!!!!!!........that was on the 2.3 tho :shock: :shock: :shock:

If both cars are standard there won't be much in it, I've driven both the 2.3 and 2.5 (not a G60 though) and they are both excellent cars. 0-60 is 7.7s in the 2.5

Oh and it's no more a cosworth than any vauxhall with a red top engine. If anything it should be badged an AMG, all cosworth did was design the 16v head in the 2.3.

That's what I said, they only did the 2.3 head (and they only manufactured the heads in the first few years before Merc took over)

Mate are you seriously worried about your gf's bro beating you in a car???

Just have a quiet word and explain that if he ever shows you up you'll hurt him :)

The only reason you need for that is being alive mate!!! :)

Get down there now!

Hang on...... from Norwich to G-werks?????

Errr yep :oops:

Like to do the 350mile round trip at least once a year, only problem is having enough work done on the car to make it worth while.

At the moment its, FMIC and one of Darrens custom flowed heads.

Hmm what other things could i get, toothed belt kit, mounts, smaller pulley :p....

lol i wish.

Doesn;t seem to be anyone round here into the whole supercharged thing.

The positive side to going to g-werks is my can is nearly run in by the time i get home if i have any engine work done.

All other repairs or servicing is done by me.

And its good to get out of Norfolk occasionally, like a holiday :p

Mate I'm only kidding. Nowt wrong with a visit to Darren. Except having to take your car down the driveway!!!!

Oh yeah, i'm on standard supension so the 4x4 stance :( so i can just make it, i do however feel sorry for anyone with lowered cars.

Supose you can take your time driving down the driveway probably only take you a few minutes to get to g-werks, by the time i have driven 3 hours to get there i just want to race down the drive to get my car done.

hi mate my best mate had one the 2.3 cosworth 16v then the brought out the 2.5 which they ran in the DTM series in german i believe the evo 2 or something! theyre defo rarer than our g60's!

i beat it im my G60 but i did love his it was was a c-reg and he had a full through exhaust and custom manifold on it he saw 140 out of it so theyre defo not slow felt lovely on motorway at 90 he got his from essex was a bargain at £1550! but needed some welding and had some really dodgy 3 spokes! ill try get a pic of it for you!

has your mate got the the cosworth half leather interior?

I never really liked his dog leg gearbox but he said he liked it once he got used to it!

and he always said a common problem was the mileometer stopping! his stopped working on 118,000 miles

also the dash cracks are quite a reguarly thing but he replaced his when he changed his speedo!

he said it was expensive for him to run he now has a supra 3litre single turbo on a G-plate and he said that his merc drank more but imo the merc looked better he brought some 5 spoke amg's for it and got them coloured black they looked rude!

if your mate wants to know anything i can give you his email number!

Hi there, he has the 2.5 16v. Its got big 18's on it so that should slow him down. :lol:

Lots of things you have said are true, his speedo has stopped at 108000miles

He has full cream leather but i think its a retrim. He paid 1400 for the car and its really nice. Paint needs some work. Not as nice as my C :)

His is AUTO :roll:

I'll let him know that you know somone who can help him

Anyways were are going to have a bt of a buzz about tonight. He wants to prove somthing in his new cosworth. Just hope the old G60 will hold its own :fadein:

Wish me luck

Beavisjem

thats very very strange i was sure that the 2.5 16v came in manual i never knew they came in auto the auto box will slow him down alot also for a 2.5 16v cosworth merc that is incredibly cheap as they are rarer than the 2.3 16

No way an old banger of a Merc - and an over rated one at that, not a patch on the E30 M3, not by a long cheese - which is auto and on 18s will beat a decent G60. You'll walk it.