Sign in to follow this  
filski

Oil pressure

Hi guys..

:(

just spent 3 hours in an AA truck with the Rado on the back. :( :( -a sorry sight.

Left York this morning and after about an hour the oil pressure light started flashing and beeping, so i stopped and topped up the level, which seemed fine anyway. When i started it again it was all fine for about 5 min and then came on again, but didn't stay on ..just for a few seconds. Then for the next half mile it it came on and off for just one or two flashes. i stopped and let it all cool down, and levels were all ok..1 min down the road it started and i called it a day and called the AA. So i presume there is a loss of oil pressure..but no visible leaks..oil temp was 100-108 'c as normal..water temp was normal so it didn't seem like it was over heating.

Any ideas guys? Or a good garage near Reading which can have a look?

When was the last time you changed your oil?

After a few track sessions, I used to have my oil buzzer come on when I was driving sub 2000rpm. I asked my local garage and he said to try an oil change, and it stopped all together!

hmm..well the garage i bought it off in May said they'd service it before selling, so when i told them i was interested he called me a few days later and said it was all done. so about 7 weeks ago i believe...could be worth trying. cheers

I would ask you local garage to plug in an oil pressure gauge test before driving the car any futher just to be safe. Should only charge around £10 to carry this out for you and there autodata will have all the given specs needed to confirm.

My oil pressure light and buzzer came on last weekend when it was really warm outside; I crapped myself. Fortunately I was on my way home and about 100 yards from my drive at the time.

I fitted the oil pressure gauge I've had kicking around since I rolled the Golf it came out of and I've seen excellent oil pressure with no problems since. I'm not sure I'll ever truly understand what happened that day.

Did you fit the oil pressure gauge in the end? Has it cured the problem? I have a similar problem although my Corrado VR6 does seem to be losing a lot of oil too.

I've checked in the bay for any leaks, no obvious ones found and no obvious signs from the floor where it's parked. The exhaust fumes are fine so it's not burning oil, but I'm currently topping up the oil level every 3-4 weeks, when going round corners particularly fast the oil pressure light beeps which is my cue to top up the oil level. Not sure if the two are linked but it's doing my head in now and don't want to wait til the service, the car hardly needed topping up with oil almost a year ago when I got it, this all started maybe July-August time.

in the end my local 'friendly' mechanic said it was the oil pump as the bearings had gone or summin and so after a new pump, oil/filter change all seems well.