Sign in to follow this  
dav

Is this BAD? (VR6)

This is what I found looking at my friends VR yesterday, its on the air box side of the head?

Looks like pink G12+ residue cos the head gasket is (was?) leaking a bit. I'm no expert, but if it's leaking then it'll want changing, but I don't know if that's a mega-urgent, don't drive it cos it'll go pop thing, or just a "hmm, need to do that when I can" job.

Exactly what I was thinking, thing is he don’t know how long it has been there…

He’s not the kind of chap that looks under the bonnet often…

Will get him to give it a wipe, and keep an eye on it.

So replacing the gasket is the only option, how much would tat cost?

Thanks for reply’s

dav.

erm, one of those jobs for when the chains are off possibly.....thats how mines being done.

plus head skim, and possibly internals in the head (exhaust valve guides seem to be a favourite).

a head gasket set from vw invluding the bolts (3 different types of the buggers) is just over £125 plus vat.

er...head skim? i did think the vr head could be skimmed cos the valve seats sit flush? this true or a load of old tosh?

This why your vr has been awol for 3 weeks chris?

Gav

erm, one of those jobs for when the chains are off possibly.....thats how mines being done.

plus head skim, and possibly internals in the head (exhaust valve guides seem to be a favourite).

a head gasket set from vw invluding the bolts (3 different types of the buggers) is just over £125 plus vat.

having a few probs chris ?

depending where you are, could do a head gasket no probs - as nosky says - give it a clean before jumping to conclusions........

er...head skim? i did think the vr head could be skimmed cos the valve seats sit flush? this true or a load of old tosh?

This why your vr has been awol for 3 weeks chris?

Gav

Its tosh, I've had two heads lightly skimmed with no problems, you're only talking 2 to 4 thou.

not problems exactly.....more oppertunties.

the chains an clutch were beng done anyway, the hg was seeping so is being replaced.

head went for a skim and it was discovered that the valve guides were knakered....not really a problem.....just took time for some to be tracked down.

should be up and running later today, im down here now helping on the rebuild and learning a shed load about vw's!

the mysteroius man in charge has just gone to pick up my inlet.... :D

will catch up with you tomorrow gav.

get the metal head gasket from the mkiv's. Higher compression, and no fibre to go pearshaped in a few years. Esp b/c of the hot spot in the rear cylinder bank.

mine seeps ever so slightly, but its never wet. doing it with the chains and clutch as mentioned. would worry unless your eating through water and getting white sludge or black water.

My buddy has cleaned it all off, and is trying to pop his head under the bonnet a least once a day, someone suggested he re-torque the head but think that’s a no go.

Any thoughts…

He’s not happy though because he just spent about £750.00 to get it through the MOT (new rack and other steering related bits) when I mentioned a the head gasket he mentioned blowing up the car…

get the metal head gasket from the mkiv's. Higher compression, and no fibre to go pearshaped in a few years. Esp b/c of the hot spot in the rear cylinder bank.

easier said than done, vw were out of stock and already on a 6 week back order in germany when i asked for one.

easier said than done, vw were out of stock and already on a 6 week back order in germany when i asked for one.

No shortages or backorders in the states...