Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Strange Engine Noise

Don;t really know how to explain this.

Occasionally i get a low down sound, like marbles ratterling around, coming from the engine when i floor it in 2nd or 3rd low down in the rev range, the revs don't need to be high. If i floor it at 2k i can somtimes hear this marbles roling around sound? :(

Sometimes its not there at all.

Engine is a 1991 G60 with 126000 on the clock.

Don;t think its pinking. Always use good fuel, serviced etc.

Anyone offer any insight

Cheers

sounds like bottom end bearings to me from that description... :|

Might it be the cat heatshield rattling?

I've had this and some times still do - you should get it up on a ramp - I found with mine it comes from exhaust&heat shields vibrating - turn the radio up or go faster - nothing to really worry about mate

if it's the cat heatshield, simply put a LARGE jubilee clip around it, and it won't rattle anymore.... ;)

Bottom end bearings don't sound too good, i know its not the cat heatsheild as i had that welded a couple of months ago.

Errrrr so bottom end bearings how can i test.........

"where's my wallet"

It just sounds a bit ratterly when its floored at low revs, it might be there at high revs but the exhaust might be a bit loud to hear it :oops:

Cat heat shield might have come loose again .. unless you know that sound, and this is not the same .. ?

my car making/doing the some, need to whip the sump off and see what busted, good time for a few upgrades :roll: , like my exhaust that fell off today :oops:

good luck lets hope your luck is better then mine

Put the sharp end of a screw driver on the rocker cover, and the handle on your ear, sounds strange, but if it is the bottom end you'll hear and feel the vibrations through the handle. Thats what mine did.

Also, the engine is at its most unstable at 2200 revs ish, so see if thats where you can hear it the most.

My VR has developed a strange whistling noise today - any ideas? Only heard it when it was ticking over and was outside of the car!