Sign in to follow this  
kerrinmay

Recommendation for HT Leads for 2.0 16v?

Having a few problems with my 2.0 16v hesitating, and thinking about changing the HT leads. When I first bought the C just over 1 1/2 years ago I replaced the rotor arm, distributer cap etc, but never changed the HT leads, and thinking that perhaps I should now do that and see if it helps.

Any recommendations on what HT leads to get? Should I just go with standard ones or get something else? Are the ones from GSF any good?

I don't think GSF do them for a 9A so if you use KR leads, you need to unscrew the cap end from number 4 and fit the position sensor, is that what you did Nige?

Hmm, the Ignition Lead Sets on the GSF website say from 4/89, so guessing they aren't for the 9A engine.

Are K1 HT Leads worth getting. I've seem quite a few sets on eBay.

Just rang the dealer and they want:

£27.88 for each lead for cylinders 1 and 2

£18.61 for each lead for cylinders 3 and 4

£19.81 for the lead to the distributor

Grand Total: £112.79!!

Can't believe they want that much for stock leads!

Just rang the dealer and they want:

£27.88 for each lead for cylinders 1 and 2

£18.61 for each lead for cylinders 3 and 4

£19.81 for the lead to the distributor

Grand Total: £112.79!!

Can't believe they want that much for stock leads!

ROFL :lol:

i'd like to know why a set for a valver is more than my set of Beru for my VR6?????

112 seems too much to me, I paid 80(ish) quid

As long as you can fit the sensor, some leads cannot be dismantled.

Yeah.. this is the important bit.. need to make sure the leads can be taken apart so that you can thread the sensor (don't remeber what the name of it is!) back over the lead...

you need to unscrew the cap end from number 4 and fit the position sensor, is that what you did Nige?

Certainly did Stanley! You can unscrew the GSF ones to slide the sensor over.

I changed mine cos they looked ropey and the car had been neglected by previous owner. As they are so expensive I would suggest you make sure you need new ones before shelling out.

I got these for mine. They are BERU ones so im pretty sure they are genuine parts. Seem very good quality and no problems yet!

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info. ... cts_id=175

They look quite well priced. Can you confirm if your's is a 2.0 or a 1.8?

Is there actually a difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 16v leads? These ones seem to be the same for both engines.

oh ok. So what's the sensor for? I'm guessing as per the previous responses that I'll probably need to transfer the sensor from my old set of leads.

Limited technical knowledge: It's for the ECU so it knows when the engines at the end f it's cycle...

(I'm sure there's a more technical explanation for that but from what I understand thats what it does :lol: )

I think mines still the original one that we swapped over to the new leads...

It simply monitors the firing of No4 cylinder (or is it No!??). Just a plastic ring round the cable, but you need to remove (unscrew) the plug that fits on the distributor to slide it on. Have a look on yours, it's the right hand pot.

Hopefully the BERU ones unscrew (I'd hope so as they are listed for the 2.0 16v) - as will most likely go for a set of those based on the pricing.

Can anyone confirm if the BERU ones do unscrew?

take of the end that goes to dizzy on number 4 slide on with little pins facing dizzy

the sensor measures engine speed to the ecu via isv

hope this helps

Just picked up my new Beru HT leads from the courier's depot. Couldn't remember how you guys said the end should come off - to allow me to slip that sensor thing on. Didn't want to break it so thought I'd better check back here and I see that you said it unscrews.

I'll have a go later - hope it does unscrew!

hi mine not as good as yours had to undo with pliers after pulling the rubber boot up mine were just crimped to the lead, bend crimped end

just enough to slide off sounds a bit naff as mine were fixed

no other way good luck

keith

Looked at my new leads last night although didn't get time to fit them, and the end just pulls off rather than unscrewing. Hopefully I'll get time to fit them later today.

Kerrinmay, did you say you bought those Beru HT leads? And have you managed to gt this clip thing on them successfully? I need some new HT leads and these look to be the best priced ones around. I'd appreciate if you could let us know if the clip goes on ok, and whether you think the leads are any good or not. Cheers

Kerrinmay, did you say you bought those Beru HT leads? And have you managed to gt this clip thing on them successfully? I need some new HT leads and these look to be the best priced ones around. I'd appreciate if you could let us know if the clip goes on ok, and whether you think the leads are any good or not. Cheers

Yes I did buy the Beru leads and well I had a very quick look last night and I can definately get the ends off the new leads, so I can't foresee any problems with transferring the sensor from the old lead to the new. However, I'll either be trying it tonight or sometime at the weekend, so I'll be sure to post back here to let you know how I got on.

Cool, I'll wait to hear from you then before I order some. I've got my ISV (from the other thread) to take off and clean this weekend so the HT leads have to wait anyway. Thanks for your advice.

Well...made a bit of a pigs ear of that!!

Had great difficulty with the number 4 lead and that sensor. Although the end came of the lead easily, it really is a very tight fit trying to thread that sensor back on. Was a hard enough job pulling it off the old lead, but trying to get it on the new one was far worse! The problem is that there is no give in the whole in the sensor, and it's a tight fit on the lead but in addition to that I had the crimped metal connector on the end that I had to try and feed through. There was no way it was going to fit, no matter how much I tryed to round off the corners (where it was crimped around the lead) with plyers. In the end I bu**ered it up and had to resort to putting the old lead back on, and that was still a mission trying to get the sensor back on that one! What I now need to do is see if I can get a new metal connector that I can crimp onto my new lead, then I'll chop off the now mangled one, thread the sensor on, and then crimp on the new connector.

Even running on the three new leads that I did manage to fit, the car does feel more responsive though. Although I did notice that my distributor cap looks quite crappy (replaced it almost two years ago now) so I'll get that replaced too.