Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

Door Pods Help!!!!

The OE pods are made from brittle, recycled plastic which is less than useless for mounting speakers too. The woofers are also mounted off axis and they work in a tiny little enclosure, so zero bass output.

The scape pods offer a vastly bigger enclosure, aswell as being on axis, and if open out the door cards so that the cones vent into the door unimpeded, you get uber bass.

I was trialling some new speakers for James last night and every time he hears my system, he says he can't believe the bottom end Corrado doors give :-) High praise indeed as he is the absolute guru with ICE, having produced several 1st place EMMA and IASCA SQ competition cars 8)

So, Scape pods it has to be......accept no substitutes :-)

hey Kev, what was that about opening the door cards for uber bass?? You didn't say anything about that when I was picking your brains a few months back!

I got the pods with Lotus spks and still haven't managed to get the sound I was hoping for. How much cutting is needed??

The later door pockets scape made have a bigger speaker opening at the back of them than the original ones. What we do is trim the door card out and make sure the back of the cone can fire straight into the door unimpeded, or at worst a rainstop pad behind the door card to stop water getting on the voice coil.

If you've already dynamatted the doors, we also stick a bit of egg box foam directly on the door behind the speaker, to absorb standing waves and give a little more bottom end responst, and of course, making sure the window won't clout it when lowered ;-)

why spend all that money for bass when you prob have a sub in the boot? , i would still like a set tho :) i bet you can just pump loads of power in to them 6in speakers make your ears bleed

Quote = "Is there anyway I can improve the standard pods ? Reinforce them in some way ?? has anyone had anyluck with doing this ?"

I used the original door pods with a set of VR 5.25" JL's (using a Denon DCA-800 also). To combat the problem of the pod letting the sound of the speakers down I've reinforced the back of the pod with glass fibre/resin which (as it contracts when it sets) really adds strength and rigidity. Then, to helps things along further I used some matting (looks a bit like cotton wool) behind the woofer, which I ripped out from the inside of a pair of old home speakers. finally I dynamted the interior side of the door skin. It made quite a bit of difference, and was a load quicker than making up a couple of pods. I also kind of prefer to keep things as they were supposed to look.

I've made quite a few speaker pods before and whilst they look good, I'm not that sure they improved sound that much compared to simply applying the same materials/principals to the standard pod.

why not? you car hear them, any way the speakers come with them and there them ace jbl gto tweeters you can point at you . oh i see them now there in the footwell not like mine on the speaker

Why on earth have you got the tweeters mounted in the footwell?!

I was recommended to keep the tweeter as close to the woofer as possible in order to keep the sound coming from both to reach your ears at the same time. And although its hard to see in the picture, they're angled upwards towards you.

I also copied certain install principals from my brothers old car - these guys seemed to do the same when installing his system :

http://www.uniquecarsound.com/php/index.php?page=gallery&gid=16

Doesn't seem to effect the sound (they sound quite 'bright')- is this not a normal place to put them mate?

['H3R4POR]Dredgey' date=' you've got exactly the same mats as me :)[/quote']

wicked - do you have them in the same colour? (black with light grey piping?).

Looking to replace mine in the near future as the fronts are starting to show wear.