Sign in to follow this  
Jonny_L

Big end blues

The leads are new "drivemaster" leads, and the coilpack is off my old engine. Do you reckon i aught to get a new coilpack on there?

The only other thing i can think of is that my mate labelled up the coilpack and took it off, so perhaps i've got some leads mixed up. though i wouldn't of thought it'd start like that.

Could someone give me a quick description of which leads go to which sockets on the coilpack? just in case it's something that simple!

Right, i ended up having to get a new vag-com lead, since mine's vanished (don't you hate it when things just dissappear).

I hooked it up earlier, and all it said was that there was something up with the charcoal canister, i probably forgot to plug it in, but i don't think that's my problem.

I worked out that there was a loose plug in the ignition, so i sorted that, and put a load of WD40 in all of the sockets, which stopped it sounding like a tractor, a bit, anyway. It's still making a ticking/tapping sound, which appears to be coming from the top right (right of car) of the engine.

So, it's idling at around 720rpm, timing at 7 BTDC, but i think the accelerator needs a bit of adjusting, so otherwise, that seems about right, doesn't it?

Any ideas? The place i bought the engine from said it could be a stuck valve, but then they probably know less than you guys!

Jonny

I've only run it in the garage for now, It's running proper rough, but i figured that my best bet is to put everything back on and drive it to the local garage. they're good with vws, so they should be able to tell me if anything's wrong.

Cheers, Jonny

Just to let you all know, it's working fine now. I'm not sure what the ticking was, but I went away, came back, and it's gone now! I realised it needed about an extra litre of water in, so maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, i've just been out for a drive in it, for the first time in just under 3 months :shock: And i'm happy as a pig in the proverbial. It's running so perfectly it's scary!

So I'd like to say a HUUUGE thank you to all of you for your help. This forum is absolutely priceless, and i'm gonna go and become a subscriber right now.

Cheers folks. Jonny