Sign in to follow this  
ardandy

Rear Num Lights Fallen Off!

The little bit of metal that holds the rear number plate lights in has fallen off! :mad:

Had a look and the two screw holes on the left and right are virtually gone with a bit of rust and the middle one is not too brilliant either!

As these are part of the boot lid what can I do? Can it be really strong glued in?

:cry:

Also, whilst where on the subject, is there any simple third brake light mod that can be done whilst being in this area? Perhaps drill holes in the little bit of metal for bright LED's? :wink:

I beleive the metal "rust magnet" that is the no. plate light holder can be obtained from the dealer for only a small amount of your hard earned.

if you use nice strong glue, you'll never be able to change the bulbs when they blow... :roll:

pull the metal bit off (undo the middle screw if possible) and remove the bulbholder/lens assembly...

3 new stainless steel screws and 3 of the threaded square clips you get to hold aftermarket speakers in with later and you've sorted the problem out... ;) (you could also use 3 nuts and bolts with a large washer up by the nut to hold it in...)

Brake light wise, the metal bit is hidden by the spoiler when it's down, so there's no point in putting a light there... Oh, and if you want to put in a brake light into the bootlid, don't forget that you're going to have to run a wire from the existing brakelights up the C pillar, into the tail gate, down the side of the window (inside the tailgate!) and over to wherever you are going to put the brakelight.... It's not an easy route to run cables through, trust me.... :|

if you want to bodge it, then, yeah, I suppose that'd work... :roll:

For a better, longer lasting fix, 3 stainless screws and 3 threaded tabs will do it nicely... (used to use this method on H-YYU for a year before the respray when it was fixed properly... ;) )