Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Passat "moonroof" which fit?

OK as my sunroof's apparently knackered (according to the guy who sold me the car it doesn't tilt) and I've not tried messing as I don't want to end up with an open roof. I was thinking about a replacement. Now I hear that Pasat roofs are a direct swop but which ones should I be looking out for?

Ideally I'd like to replace with a "moonroof" (glass one) as it'll help lighten up the interior a bit!

Its a "late" 92 2.0 16v BTW...

PS is there a way of manually opening/closing the roof?

you need a glass roof from an 92-95 passat. - it's the first model after the one that didn't have a front grille.

The Estate one is supposed to be slightly flatter and therefore a better fit, but the standard saloon one is a good fit anyway...

If you remove the interior light and then the housing for it, you'll be able to see the sunroof motor. There's either a space for a flat head screwdriver (early motor) or a hole for an allen key with a cover over it, which you can use to open/close the motor without power... 8)

OK so now we have Passat for sure, Audi something and I've also sure I read golf/ Seat Toledo?????

HELP!

Is there any-one either E-London or Oxon areas that can do this?

MKIII Golf fits too, but it sits a little high in the middle as the roofline of the golf is more rounded....

MKIII Golf fits too, but it sits a little high in the middle as the roofline of the golf is more rounded....

How noticeable is the curve ??

on the passat one, it's only obvious if you look for it... mine sits about 1mm proud on the leading edge in the middle and about 0.5mm low in the corners... the rear edge is pretty much spot on.

I've never fitted a MKIII golf one, but the ones I've seen fitted sit a couple of mm higher in the middle and a good 1mm lower in the front corners... again, the rear edge isn't that far off, but it sat about 1mm proud in the middle.

1 or 2 mm may not sound like a lot, but it does make one hell of a difference to road noise and the look of the roof... :|

Henny have you managed to align you roof correctly to stop wind noise ?

I installed one a couple of weeks ago and just cant get mine spot on, did you use any spacers ?

use some washers to drop it slightly where necessary - wind noise is often more noticeable when the inner cover is back but when this is forward - as with a std roof - i've never noticed any different - i've fitted moonroofs from 4 differen models and been happy with all of them - none are at all bad and any wind noise is due to what i've said above