Sign in to follow this  
24v RADO

Private Plates, good or bad?

Are private plates a good idea, i've seen E2 ADO which i think looks good

but moving the number over is illegal and sticking screw caps all over the plate to try and spell something looks tacky.

good or bad what do you think?

Personally I hate em. Just don't see why you'd spend £300+ on a plate that most people look at and say "Tw@t" or "What does ELL 5ET mean?"

Just think - you could get a shiny new exhaust system or something for the money even the cheapest plate cost! I know what i'd rather have!

I think if they are relevant to the car, for example I have B19 VWC ;-) or spell your initials / name, even hiding the age of car using irish plate (some of which are really cheap e.g. £99+£80 assigment fee) then they are cool but agreed, moving digits / altering spacing / using blanks / rivets etc. is both tacky and illegal,

Cheers

Mine's car specific too - L2 DUB. Bought it ages ago. Did toy with the idea of having a G6 O** plate on the rado, but can't justify spending it atm :lol:

I think if they are relevant to the car, for example I have B19 VWC ;-) or spell your initials / name, even hiding the age of car using irish plate (some of which are really cheap e.g. £99+£80 assigment fee) then they are cool but agreed, moving digits / altering spacing / using blanks / rivets etc. is both tacky and illegal,

Cheers

agreed. But numbers like LDZ 9559, etc, etc just scream cheap skate chav.

i need my rear bumper spraying the cost of a plate would pay for that.

Not hurt it already!? :shock: ;)

Yeah, it's best to have a car related plate really, rather than a "look at me and my name!" one :D

Dude, buy a plate. You're not going to find much else to spend your money on when it comes to that car!

Cheers

Seems normal enough to me :lol:

I prefer real Irish plates, much nicer :-P

Back on topic, I'd forget spending money on a number plate and sort the bumper :wink:

Cheers

ill get me coat :oops:

From the dvla website:

THE LAW

The law states that,

* You must not alter, rearrange or misrepresent the letters or numbers

* Characters must not be moved from one group to the other (e.g. A242 ABC must not be displayed as A242A BC).

* Stylised letters and/or figures such as italics are not allowed

* Number plate fixing bolts that alter the appearance of the letters

and/or numbers

Offences may result in any or all of the following:

* A fine of up to £1,000

* The registration mark may be WITHDRAWN

* The vehicle may FAIL the MOT test

Full details of the requirements are included in The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

sorry but E2 ADO is pretty poor for a P/P........best get a plate with yer initials

and before anyone picks me up on A2 GON(no connecton with my name etc) on my Storm........that was already on a car I bought and all its cost me in the near 12years ive had it has been £205 (putting it on retention £105+ 4 years of keeping it on retention £100 on top)

the plate on my 993 tho is car specific(C4=Carrera 4) and also my initials(RGK).........all thats cost me has been £399

Mainly because of speed cameras, they want the easiest job catching you.

Mine is [spoil]K1 CPW[/spoil] and i like it, it's mine.

Chris

I bought mine with A290MAN on it... someone before me wanted it to read "A 2.9 O MAN"

Bit chavvy I think, but I can't be bothered changing it.

I have N 57ORM with a slight movement, everything else about the plate is standard. I don't agreed with dodgy fonts, big screw heads and the like to make different letters. I also wouldn't pay much for a plate either.

Also, surely they are "personalised" or "cherished" plates rather than "Private"? If they were Private, nobody could see them ;-)

I quite like personal plates my plate on the RADO is G60 CC

and my other plate is A2 HXY

which is very specific to me

id just say fella if ya want one get one! (but buy your charger first)

I like my plate. I did it because I like them. It personalises my car to me as I an very proud of my car. If people think T@at as I pass them then that is their problem not mine.

I do like some private plates.. I got pulled lastnight for not running a plate on the front lol & the copper followed me to my house.. shame he couldnt do anything as car wasnt on the road ;-)

Bloke in my work's got S794 VAG - And would sell if anyone on here wants it?