Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

Speaker Upgrades..

Recently bought a set of 16.5cm Infinity Reference components and Halfords speaker shelf for my 94' C to replace the OE stuff in the back - would like to know would it be usless just to replace the door speakers with better (Infinity) 5.25ins ones OR to go the full hog and buy audioscapes with better 5.25ins - or even mount ANOTHER set or 16.5cm(the same as the parcel shelf) in new door pods? The Infinitys' come with small tweeters (approx 1.5ins) and crossover unit - are these the same size as the ones in the dash of the 94 C?

I would say get the audioscapes without fail! i have infinitis in mine and they sound great the tweeters can be mounted in the original positions although you will have to cut the original mounting points slightly....

Depends how much you want to spend, how quickly I guess. If you've got the money to do it all now, I'd get the audioscape pods, and the 16.5cm speakers. If you want to get new front speakers now, but don't want to/can't afford to spend the £180 on a set of audioscapes, I'd get the 5.25"ers and fit them in the stock pods. Then if you decide to go audioscape later, you can just order them cut for 5.25's. As for the tweeters, pop the OEM's out of the dash, remove the old tweets from the plastic circle then get a holesaw and drill out the old mount to whatever the diameter of your new tweeter mount is. Screw it all back together, slot it back in the dash and bob's your uncle. Just watch out that there's enough clearance under the factory grills - the tweeter position isn't symmetrical, and there seems to be a bit less space under the driver's side one. I had to form a bulge in my driver's side grill to accomodate my JBL's, but the speakers are completely OEM looking - even got the x-overs inside the kickpanel trims.

Phew! that must be the longest post I've made so far! Must take some piccies of mine...

Thanks for advice Smee - money not really an issue, well until i get back from my hols that is! :) - Ive got the Infinitys (with tweeters) rated at 270W peak power - not sure if i should buy another set of these to run in the doors? That would mean two identical sets of speaker in the doors/parcel shelf! Would i discard the extra set of tweeters with the second set of Infinitys or would it be worth mounting these aswell?

To be honest, if I were in your position, I'd get a set of audioscape pods, flog the halfords rear shelf, bung the infinity's in the doors&dash positions, put a sub in the boot, and stick some cheap 6x4's in the OEM rear shelf support positions for when you have passengers. Amp the front components and sub, run the 6x4's of the HU and enjoy the tunes!

Of course it's your car, so it's your choice! :-P

If you do want to keep the infinity's in the shelf, and buy another set for the front, DO fit the tweeters as well, or it'll probably sound rather bass heavy at the front. Is anything currently running off separate amps, or is it just off the HU? Do you already have a sub?

Cheers mate, the tweeters are going to replace the stock dash ones anyway, was just saying if i should use the additional set of tweeters i would have if l bought another set of 16.5s - in other words i would have 4 tweeters to use! The Infinitys Reference Range also includes 5.25s components - which again has a good output power - but strangely these are the same price as the 16.5's which are slightly more powerful! Defo using the shelf with the Infinitys and probably go for the audioscapes aswell. I am yet to purchase an amp - any suggestions for the 6 speakers? No sub!

So at the moment you're going to have the tweeters in the front, and the bass/mid drivers in the parcel shelf?! :scratch: In that case I'd buy the second set of comps, have a front set (doors & dash) and a rear set (shelf). Having four bass/mids on the go, you might not feel the need for a sub. Definitely amp them though - I was suprised how much difference it makes.

Not sure what amps to reccomend though, I'm buying old denons of ebay mostly, Genesis amps seem popular on here too, have a look on the Talk Audio forum, it's a fount of ICE info.

The old Soundstrem range is pretty good (although not so much the new stuff)

I've got a Soundstream Rubicon Lil'wonder 5 running front/rear comps and a10" sub. Those amps have alot of power in them. Even the specs are amusing..... they don't even give vlaues.

Job's a good'un!

Hope fully I can now finish my install, spent weekend driving to work with no stereo and the dash in bits!

i have a Soundstream amp real nice stuff it runs my tweets and my fronts in the doors the sound is crisp, 2 ohm stable to and a center channel??? lol

Deluk

Forget rear speakers - you don't turn your back on a concert!

Audioscape pods all the way. The wanky plastic OE pods are just about the worst possible baffle material ever.

Tilt the tweeters toward the centre of the screen to reduce the need for time alignment.

Dynamat the door skins and boot floor.

Get a grunty 4 channel amp, bridge the rear channels to a sub and run the fronts from the other two, t'is all you need ;-)

The above all imo of course, no offense intended by the abruptness :-)

If you want a beefy sound, focus on how the speakers are mounted and what they're mounted on, amplifier, H/U and speaker quality.

Rear speakers have little value (imo) unless you have a surround sound processor in the H/U. Just depends how much of an audiophile you are ;-)

My 33 year old ears aren't what they used to be :-)

I like a stereo that sounds like it has power to spare, hence the grunty amp suggestion ;-)

i dont know man i guess it the music you lesson to i like mosty rock so i need a system that is flexble, a nice live sound this is why i use two amps just for mids and a powered sub box 300w its only on half , you might sniff at my system but it sounds real clear and powerfull and my HU has a eq on it too

More than happy with mine running a set of pioneer custom fit jobies in the front dash and rear parcel shelf support brackets in the rear.

Don't have wiring for door speakers yet (Mine was a poverty spec valver after all prior to the dealer loading up the electric options.) But intend to fit a set of standard size ones and see how it goes.

Don't get the rear parcel shelf replacement ones from Pioneer - get the ones for the goof MK. II exactly the same size but for some reason they don't list them as an option for the C. I think I have the TS-H467's in the rear and the TS-H107's in the front.

Of course I know little about these things but it sounds pretty good to me and muhc better than the standard pap - the DVD audio quality works nicely too.