Sign in to follow this  
double-6s

Mmmmm.......... Newness :)

good! I worried that you'd just scratched the face of your nice shiney new head!!

It'll be brilliant knowing that you've nothing much to worry about on the engine side for a couple of years won't it? are you going to put anything else new in, recon gearbox etc?

No scratches mate - worry not. It's my 3rd child as far as I'm concerned :)

It certainly will be - i've had my fair share of engine woes so it's gonna be lovely.

And yeah, I'm going to go for a recon gearbox and either peloquin or quaife diff.

Brand new block, head and Azevs...... can it get any better? :-)

Nice one mate 8)

Don't use synthetic oil in that engine until it's bedded in ;-)

Don't use synthetic oil in that engine until it's bedded in ;-)

Just out of interest, why is that?

Kev - it feels like birthday, christmas and easter all rolled into one mate :)

No synthetic eh? What should I use? Never had a new engine before! How much of the dreaded running in/driving like a hairdresser will I have to do?

Toad, it'll need to wear in the bores and other moving parts (mainly the bores and piston rings though) - using a synthetic oil stops the piston rings bedding into the cylinders properly meaning that it never properly beds in creating a good seal on the cylinders giving you an engine that will always burn some oil and won't give you the maximum compression it should... ;)

I ALWAYS bed my engines in with Morris mineral oil (10W40) for the first 5000 miles, changing the oil at 100, 250, 500, 1000, 3000 and 5000 miles and then using Quantum Silver oil from then on every 4000 miles... 8)

Will, I'd follow VW's procedure...... just drive it normally on regular mineral oil (GTX or something) and drain the oil at 1000 miles, I'd also glue a magnet to the sump plug during this period to make it attract all the inevitable swarf.

All you need to avoid is redlining it for the first 1000.....but at the same time don't treat it with kid gloves.....it's not a 1940's engine ;-)

In other words, it lubricates it a bit too well I hadn't thought about the rings bedding in before, I thought it was going to be something to do with too many particles being picked up and transported around the engine in the oil.

Don't the rings bed in the first hour or so of driving?

yeah, but they'll make a better seal over time as things loosen up slightly... Why else do you reckon that VW engines are at their best at around 50 to 70K miles! That's when they're bedded in properly! :lol:

It is.....on sh1t engines :-)

Modern engines are pretty much ready to go these days, as was the VR when it was new. Some engines don't even need a first service anymore, they just leave the factory and don't need to be seen again for another 20K. Madness if you ask me, but extended running and cheaper maintenance is what makes cars leave the forecourts these days.

It's only cr@ppy old engines like the A series that chewed itself to bits as it bedded in, but decent engines made to tighter tolerances merely 1200 grit wet and dry themselves in, rather sanding themselves together like ancient old relics.....

Build it, fill her up, drive it, enjoy......drop oil at 1000, refill with the good stuff, drive it, enjoy recurring....;-)