Sign in to follow this  
ReekieVR

CV boot - cause of steering creak? *Added sound file !!*

Whilst trying to identify a creaking when steering, i noticed that the drive shaft inner cv boot is split. Dont know how long its been like that but could it be the cause of the creaking?

I will try to get some pix and an audio file of the offending problems.

Any other suggestions as to why my steering would creak? Its sounds like the noise you get when getting a heavy object out of the boot and the rear suspension creaks.

Apols for overuse of the word 'creak'.

the split drive shaft boot would only cause a creak if the joint was completely dry of cv grease but if it was that bad it would be knocking its tits off to be honest , ive heard the odd gaiter creak when they 1st split but not very often , its more likely to be strut top mounts , bottom stut / spring mount , bottom ball joint or even worn track rod end , try lubricating all the above with a quality maintenance spray , be cautious around the brake discs and calipers :) hope this is some help

Ok - i have recorded a mov file of the noise, but am unable to edit it.

*Dialup users* stay away - 15mb !!!

Have a listenand see what you think the creaking might be.

Its just two lock to lock turns. Turning right is worse.

try jacking the car up one side at a time , it still sounds like a very dry suspension top mount or the lower ball joint , you may need to really work some penatrating oil right in to the mount failing that you may need to take the top mount out and grease it up