STORM 2

Spoiler Diagnostic

OK this will be of relevance to people whose spoiler works on via the switch - ie Non automatically

I have trawled through every post looking for an answer to why the spoiler won't activate at speed but will work manually.

Having checked:

1.Fuses

2.Switch

3.Controller box (thanks Nikki)

4.Gearbox VSS

5.Blue wire out of the stereo loom for speed sens volume (must be disconnected )

If all the above have been checked and the problem persists - whats going on?

The only thing I have discovered is what Mr Beige (don't know if he is still on here) touched upon - ie a transistor located somewhere on the clocks circuit board

This would fit in with another post who solved his problem by replacing the clocks.

SO - Anyone got any information on this mysterious transistor's exact location?

Yeah Beigey is still about.....

Don't forget the infamous "Stereo aerial out plugged into the auto volume wire" issue.

Seems there is a wire in the loom that if connected to the stereo's aerial / amp remote, wipes out the auto spoiler function. Can't remember the exact details.

OK this will be of relevance to people whose spoiler works on via the switch - ie Non automatically

I have trawled through every post looking for an answer to why the spoiler won't activate at speed but will work manually.

Having checked:

1.Fuses

2.Switch

3.Controller box (thanks Nikki)

4.Gearbox VSS

5.Blue wire out of the stereo loom for speed sens volume (must be disconnected )

If all the above have been checked and the problem persists - whats going on?

The only thing I have discovered is what Mr Beige (don't know if he is still on here) touched upon - ie a transistor located somewhere on the clocks circuit board

This would fit in with another post who solved his problem by replacing the clocks.

SO - Anyone got any information on this mysterious transistor's exact location?

no problem :)

OK, Have checked through the list above including replacing the offending transistor, have even replaced the clocks to no avail ....so there must be another point in circuit that has failed.... cue [OB] RW1 methinks...

what next?

well on the back of the fuseboard there is a link wire between the speedo sensor and the spoiler control unit. when i was messing around with my wiring my mate put this back in the wrong place, and consequently the spoiler wouldnt come up automatically. very easy to do. i think it is a green link wire but i would have to check to confirm

Ello STORM 2!

Well, can't believe I missed this! :lol:

I've currently got hodgkinsons clocks (arrived yesterday) as he is having issues with his! His are VR clocks too, so I might be able to shed some light on what the problem is.

If I make progress with his, I could look at your as well if you like?

Ello STORM 2!

Well, can't believe I missed this! :lol:

I've currently got hodgkinsons clocks (arrived yesterday) as he is having issues with his! His are VR clocks too, so I might be able to shed some light on what the problem is.

If I make progress with his, I could look at your as well if you like?

Many thanks

I would be very grateful

I've come to a dead end :cry: :cry:

cheers

well on the back of the fuseboard there is a link wire between the speedo sensor and the spoiler control unit. when i was messing around with my wiring my mate put this back in the wrong place, and consequently the spoiler wouldnt come up automatically. very easy to do. i think it is a green link wire but i would have to check to confirm

is this link wire part of the main loom plug?

I didnt think there were any other wires coming out of the clocks - :?: or are the G60 clocks different?

In summary the VR clocks are different to the the others with respect to the transistor - removing the transistor on the VR clocks will disable the speedo (found out the hard way). Luckily Mr Beige did his electronic wizardry stuff and repaired the clocks, but we now know that the transistor is not the problem in the VR at least.

I'm still stuck without the spoiler at speed and I will probably start again when it gets warmer.

did you mess around with the fuseboard then?

on the back there is a small link which goes to the spoiler control unit from the speedo. i know everybody thinks that you cant get plugs muddled up on the board, but you can!!

its only a small link but it can be put in the wrong hole on the fuseboard.

if you havent touched the fuseboard before the spioler packed up then its prob not that

Rob, my fuseboard is an absolute mess so I wouldn't be surprised if there's something dodgy going on there - So I follow the wire out of the spoiler control module to the fuseboard - whereabouts on the fuseboard is its supposed to go?

I had a valver that's spoiler only worked on the button but strangely everytime I filled it up with petrol the spoiler would work automatically but if you kept the engine running then stopped a few minutes later - it would'nt function again. Weird. It also worked on the RRday at Star.

sorry guys, dont come on here much anymore

i shall have a look at the weekend for you if that is any help?

from what i can remember, if you look at the board from the back, there is a short green link wire on the top left hand side (or if the board is in situe it will be the door side of the board.

there are 2 places that this link wire can go into, 1 is wrong and the other is correct.

what it will end up doing is linking the clocks to the spoiler module. i will get my bently manual and look properly later. this is what happened with my car anyway after my mate messed around with the board while trying to make his work!!

well after feeling like crap all weekend, i decided not to climb across my car to look under the fuseboard, sorry guys.

i did however pull the bently manual out of the car so i will have a look through that for you

Found a small blue plug with a blue/white wire (same as the one that goes to the stereo) loose behind the fusebox. Plugged it in to the nearest socket. It put the spoiler down automatically when I slowed down. Didn't have time to test whether it will go up- will let you know tomorrow.

was it just a single wire plug?

i did try and get some pictures from the bently manual, but i couldnt post them on here from my scanner, so instead of smashing things up i gave up!

when im feeling better i will venture into my fuseboard, now isnt good though

Yep, single blue/white wire with blue plug. There was a socket free at the top between a couple of other blue plugs, so I popped it in there! :)