Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

max speed for HGV's

having a boring afternoon...

This surprised me, the max speed for an HGV (lorry over 7.5 tonnes) on a single carriageway is 40mph, how often do you see that?

I'm doing LGV (as its now called) training for C+E (Artic) and you'd be surpised how quick 40mph feels in a proper lorry on a single carraigeway. You don't often have too much of an opportunity to do much more than that. Most of the ones you see doing 60 mph+ on a single carraigeway are just under the 7.5 tonne limit that would classify them as a LGV. It saves companies loads of money by not having to pay LGV drivers, just anyone with a car license. LGV only allows 50mph on a dual carraigeway and 60mph on a motorway, and most of them are limited to 56mph anyway.

They may be SUPPOSED to be limited to 56mph but I have lost count of the times that HGV's both 7.5 tonners and artics have overtaken me at 60 or even 70mph. The speeed limiters on them are VERY easilt disconnected.

They may be SUPPOSED to be limited to 56mph but I have lost count of the times that HGV's both 7.5 tonners and artics have overtaken me at 60 or even 70mph. The speeed limiters on them are VERY easilt disconnected.

Also trucks from Ireland, Gurnsey and Jersey don't have to have speed limiters fitted.

I don't think 7.5T lorries are required to have a limiter fitted, just lorries over that size

Thats right.

having a boring afternoon...

This surprised me, the max speed for an HGV (lorry over 7.5 tonnes) on a single carriageway is 40mph, how often do you see that?

Try coming up the A9,

its a 100 mile stretch between Inverness and Perth

Tesco,Asda,Morrisons,Calorgas are a few that I can ring off, that Do stick to the national speed limit for Lgv's as they now call them.

Chicken and Egg really.... You can speed or get done with having miles of traffic behind you,let common sense prevail.

Also trucks from Ireland, Gurnsey and Jersey don't have to have speed limiters fitted.

Any Truck in the European union should have a speed limiter fitted,be it Craibs in Aberdeen or willi betz out of Germany.

Gurnsey and Jersey,unsure how large they are could use the 25 mile rule and work by Uk regs;

My old Mob goes to Jersey and use a Tacho.

Speed limiters are not easily disconnected if they are they have been using computer software changing the settings on the ECU.

Its not as easy as it used to be,

when you used to just remove the fuse,nothing needed to be undone.

Anyone,speeding is doing themselves out of money,if your paid by the hour obviously.

It is possible to do 60 mph in a hgv even if going down a slight decline,weight momentum etc.

Soon enough 7.5 tonners will have limiters and also any van as well

so they day of the white van man are coming to an end.

Same as tachos,the new trucks now have the chip tachos,so if your illegal to drive it wont let you ( as in too many hours etc)

obviously they are an option,so some companies dont fit if they dont have to.

after all this regulation,

I thought sod it and got a job on the tankers at the airport.

Sorted !

chubbz

Try coming up the A9,

its a 100 mile stretch between Inverness and Perth

Tesco,Asda,Morrisons,Calorgas are a few that I can ring off, that Do stick to the national speed limit for Lgv's as they now call them.chubbz

Yeah they sure do, shame as you can really get the hammer down if it's quiet, mind you taking the route over the Cairngorms is really fun when they have not just loose chipped the bloody road :mad:

They may be restricted to these limits but have you ever tried racing a Cab with no trailer....????

Foook me they're fast!!! You wouldn't beleive how quick these things really are!!!!