Sign in to follow this  
JT

not cool..

ok so driving into bath last nite taking it easy went into fifth and crunch!! not usual but went in.. got into bath went for first off the lights.. and nothing... typical dub tho only gave up 200 meters from my destination.. and cheers will for towing me round the corner... the joys of driving in convoy...

no loss of fluid.. pours out of the bleed valve on the slave cylinder.. no visible signs of leaks on the master cylinder... i reckon the plates have just given up... anyone else got any thoughts... great drive back tho on the aa flat bed :oops: ....

and great for the next owner too .... brand new clutch.... :cry:

i know it soulds silly but have you checked cables were it attaches to top of the gear box.

i know it soulds silly but have you checked cables were it attaches to top of the gear box.

Yeah sounds more like a cable failure than a clutch one.

the linkage on the top of the box is moving with stick... you depress the clutch (feels fine) go to put it into gear and nothing just a whole lot spinning cogs not matching up.....

why would i be checking my drive shafts cv - joints...... when it's deffinately to do with the clutch.....

why would i be checking my drive shafts cv - joints...... when it's deffinately to do with the clutch.....

Cos you said you could hear the gogs turning, which could mean the gear box is engaged. If a drive shaft had broke, the diff would prevent the car from moving. just some thing to rule out.

yeah could hear them turning.. but not engaged.... i'm gonna go with the pressure plate... it's deffinately new clutch time tho..

unlikely to be pressure plate, that'd cause the clutch not to grip... more likely the pressure plate springs or clutch release bearing failing so that when you press the clutch pedal, the clutch never dis-engages...

Had this plenty of times on my old MKI 16V until I finally upgraded the clutch and flywheel for something a little meatier! :lol:

*edit* mis-read first post, could do with some more info please matey... Can you actually get it to go into gear when the engine's running, or does it just crunch? If you can get it into gear, as you let the clutch pedal up does it just not do anything? (see Andi's post below)

Does the speedo move if you try and accellorate in gear?

If yes - driveshafts are moving, therefore CV joint has popped off (and the diff puts power the route of least friction)

If no - go down your more expensive clutch route ;)

it won't go into gear...you push the clutch down and it just crunches....

ok with the engine off will it go into gear ? if it will put it in first (if there is nothing in front of you, reverse if there is) then try starting the car but get ready to turn it off and get on the brakes, if it jumps forward or backward its a dead clutch release bearing or fingers if it doesnt its something else, it is most likely to be the clutch though.

i drove 230 miles recently with no clutch when the thrust bearing on the van collapsed, just by starting it in gear and rev-matching to change gear.

it sounds like the friction plate has blown itself to bits hence when you try to put it in gear all you get is grinding and no gears ,theres nothing to take up the drive when you depress the clutch , i reckon your going to want a complete clutch kit , pressure plate , friction plate and relese bearing as its faulse economy to not replace all 3 items when your doing this job :)

basically.... with engine off and the clutch depressed it will go into gear no problem.. start the car depress the clutch and crunch... no apparent loss of fluid and all cables etc working as they should......

i meant actually try and start the car while you are in 1st gear or reverse (it wont damage anything) but just make sure the path is clear and turn it off straight away, if it moves when you try that it will rule out dead drive shaft, cv joint or gearbox.

cheers buddy.. but got it booked in now for thursday.. new clutch on it's way :) :mad: :( :wink: