Sign in to follow this  
mirroredone

oil in the third cylinder

Hello,

Could anyone help me on this?

Couple of weeks ago, i went to change the spark plugs and found oil on the plug in the third cylinder and the HT lead but the other 3 were fine, i had the rocker cover gasket changed. it's running really bad, and doesn't idle at all just seems like its staving it self,

also the clutch was being a pain as they always are, but whilst i was on holiday, the clutch went through the floor, and is still on the floor, i think the cable has snaped but i'm not 100% sure, could anyone shed some light on the situation,

cheers for your help.

Lee

I'm guessing this is a Valver?

either way, the clutch doesn't have a cable, it's hydraulic (like your brakes) so it sounds like your slave cylinder has failed - they're not expensive and not difficult to fit, just a little fiddly...

As for oil on the plug, do you mean on the top of the plug, just on the threads or on the actual tip of the plug where the spark is made?

The Corrado uses a Hydraulic clutch, so there's no cable, instead it sounds like your release bearing has gone. were you getting a rumbling/lots of feed back through the peddle?

its gearbox out time, i'm afraid mate.

What engine is it, VR6, G60, or 16V that'll help people when tryi ng to diagnose your fault.

Could it be something as simple as a spill during an oil top-up? If not, it sounds as though the inner part of the cam cover gasket has not been properly fitted or tightened. Try releasing and then retorquing the cover bolts - do it as you would a cylinder head, starting at the middle and working outwards gradually building up the torque to the figure given in the manual (I don't know what the figure is but it won't be very high.)

Best wishes

RB

I have a torque wrench you could use next time your round...

In return you can help me fit my zorst....

:)

Thread revival...

Hi,

Exactly the same problem. Car started misfiring all of a sudden, theres a sort of juddery flat spot between 2-3krpm then its ok - also backfires quite alot.

I assumed this was spark related, so I changed my HT leads today (Sparks done not too long ago), only to find Oil in the 3rd Cylinder. HT leads haven't really helped. Whats odd is that I thought it must now be the coil or dizzy, but here it's suggesting something else. Has anyone found a cure for this?

Regards,

Nick

Anyway...

After much reading, It does sound like it could be the cam cover gasket which needs to be replaced (or rings?). Would I need to change the inlet manifold gasket whilst changing?

And...Anyone know how to change the cam gasket? Tried searching the forum, but didn't find much to satisfy my needs ;) A step by step guide would be good - Am rather worried about overtightening...

If anyone replies - Cheers

I did this a while ago on an ABF engine, essentially the same.

The camshaft cover gasket comes in 2 parts, the outer part goes around the perimeter of the cover, the inner part has 4 rings joined together to surround the plug recesses. And there is a semi circular plug for the distributor end where the camshaft bearing caps have been line bored.

Remove the plug leads and lay then to one side, then remove the plastic lead guides. Disconnect all supports cables and pipes to the inlet manifold and then unbolt and lift clear the top part of it. Make sure that you block the lower inlet manifold with paper or rags to stop things falling in. One or two of the support machine screws around the back, above the exhaust manifold, are inaccessible and tight; be careful not to round them out. My trusty Irwin bolt removers got me out of trouble at this stage. I found it much easier to disconnect the throttle body from the inlet manifold for reasons of access; if you do, renew the gasket on reassembly.

Undo the machine screws around the periphery of the cam cover and the ones in the middle, then tap the cover to release it from the gaskets which will probably be hard and brittle.

Clean the jointing surfaces of the cylinder head and cover thoroughly but carefully; do not use metal scrapers as both parts are soft aluminium. Fit the gaskets and don't forget to renew the half-moon plug at the distributor end. It will seem too big but will compress when you tighten the cover. Position the cover and check, re-check and re-re-check that all is lined up, especially the central part of the gasket surrounding the plug recesses.

Tighten the cover screws as you would a cylinder head, starting in the middle and working outwards, progressively a little at a time, to the final torque (I can't remember what that is but it's not much). Dont overdo it because you'll strip a thread or distort the cover.

Take out the paper or rags from the lower manifold (!!).

It's a good idea to replace the gasket between the upper and lower inlet manifolds, screw it all back together and check for vacuum leaks, especially those pieces of small bore hose.

And there you have it.

Best wishes

RB

Thank you very much! I shall attempt this with your guide in hand. I will keep you updated on how it goes :)

Thanks again,

Nick

Appears to be, yeah.

Obviously this includes more than you do actually need and they don't seem to state which brand it is. I certainly wouldn't want to use a poor quality head gasket, I know you're not changing it for now though (he says whilst touching wood).

Elring branded cam cover gaskets are around £15 - £20 from GSF and are VAG quality.

Luckily I haven't started changing it yet - thanks for the heads up, I think i'll go with GSF :)