Sign in to follow this  
Deanodynosaurs

Electric window's not working!

Please help!! I have been trying to sort the electric windows out in my 16v 1991 Corrado for the last week and its sending me nuts! At present neither side is working, and its two hot to be without opening windows!

Neither window work on the switches. I've checked the motors, which work fine of a 12V feed, and I’ve also checked the switches which seem to be ok.

I have tried another control unit brought off E-bay (which I was told worked when it was removed), but neither still works.

This has lead me to the conclusion that it could be a relay or a fuse somewhere, or a break in the wiring circuit (before you say I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box!)

According to the wiring diagram there is a separate fuse and relay for the electric windows? Could any one tell me where these are and give me some idea how to identify them? I Have two relay hanging near my fuse box, but can’t work out what there for as there not numbered!

Also, is there any way to check the control box? New ones are pricey so I don’t want to have to buy one unless I really need one!

Any advice on what to try next would be really appreciated!

Neil

Are your electric mirrors working? If not check fuse #14. Sometimes my windows die as well as the mirrors and #14 is the culprit.

Paul

The relay is the one inch square thing on top of the fuse board (think thats the window one). There is also an additional small fuse next to it above all the others.

Try that mate - worked on mine :)

The relay is the one inch square thing on top of the fuse board (think thats the window one). There is also an additional small fuse next to it above all the others.

Try that mate - worked on mine :)

Cheers mate, I’ll give the relays a try!

When you say on top of the fuse box, do you mean the one that are separate from the relays which are an integral part of the fuse box? I got a single one clipped on top of the fuse box about 3 across from the left of the original relays.

Oh and there’s two relays which just hanging down, but I don’t think it’s them. Might just replace them anyway just to be safe!

Neil

Are your electric mirrors working? If not check fuse #14. Sometimes my windows die as well as the mirrors and #14 is the culprit.

Paul

Na, electric mirrors still fine. and i checked all the fuses.

Cheers anyway!

Neil

I got a single one clipped on top of the fuse box about 3 across from the left of the original relays.

I think that's the one mate ( fuse postitions can be found on the back of the fuse box cover or in the original owners manual BTW :) )

I got a single one clipped on top of the fuse box about 3 across from the left of the original relays.

I think that's the one mate ( fuse postitions can be found on the back of the fuse box cover or in the original owners manual BTW :) )

Cheers mate, i'll try changing that one then!

I'd check on the back of the cover or in the book if i had either!! :lol:

Neil

UPDATE!

Windows fixed! (Sort of!)

Embarrassingly it was the fuse! I only found it on top of the fuse box after dismantling the rest of the electric windows system!

However, it does keep blowing the fuse (confusingly, whenever it feels like it?), so I’m gonna have to track the short down.

Thanks to all for your help and advice.

Neil