Sign in to follow this  
Arrow3 VR6

Transmission / Clutch Question

Hey everyone. I've noticed that the transmission(I think) on my Corrado feels a bit "loose." For example, the shifts just don't feel as crisp as I would think they should. Also, sometimes it's a bit hard to get it to shift and/or downshift into certain gears, and you really have to slam the clutch to the floor to get it to shift.

Is this a common issue seen in Corrados? Or is it something wrong with my car? If there most likely is something wrong, what could it be? Thanks for the help.

mine to is like that,doesnt especially quick gear changes from 1st to 2nd,been told by a few people to put some slick50 additive(think it was that)and some decent gear box oil :?

Redline MTL and Slick 50 are about the best oils you can put in a VW box and they help enomously. If you want a really seriously high quality oil, go for Redline Shockproof.

The shifting problem could be clutch related. If the friction disc doesn't disengage fully, the box will struggle to change cogs smoothly. You've said you have to stomp on the clutch pedal before it changes, which is a clue. Leaking Slave cylinder perhaps?

It could also be too much movement in the engine.

My gearshift is ultra slick and the lever is tight. No slack at all.

Ever since I've put a Vibra technics front mount on and a turn2 gearbox mount, I can now do full bore changes from 1st to second with no baulking.

If none of the above, you could just have an maladjusted linkage.

Kev

Redline MTL and Slick 50 are about the best oils you can put in a VW box and they help enomously. If you want a really seriously high quality oil, go for Redline Shockproof.

The shifting problem could be clutch related. If the friction disc doesn't disengage fully, the box will struggle to change cogs smoothly. You've said you have to stomp on the clutch pedal before it changes, which is a clue. Leaking Slave cylinder perhaps?

It could also be too much movement in the engine.

My gearshift is ultra slick and the lever is tight. No slack at all.

Ever since I've put a Vibra technics front mount on and a turn2 gearbox mount, I can now do full bore changes from 1st to second with no baulking.

If none of the above, you could just have an maladjusted linkage.

Kev

Thanks for the information. I have a few questions about it. When you say the "VW Box", do you mean the gears and stuff in the transmission? Also, I didn't quite mean "stomp" it literally, I just mean you have to really push it to the floor to get it to shift. Also, if it's a leaking slave cylinder, what can fix taht? A new one? or new seals or something? I'm not quite sure what the slave cylinder is sorry. Also, what do you mean by these 2 statements: "too much movement in the engine", and "full bore changes"? Thanks again for all of your help.

OK. VW boxes (as in the transmission, sorry, poor english on my part) have always had a reputation for notchiness (especially when cold) and weak synchro rings (brass cones that match the gear speed to input shaft speed for smooth changes). Pouring in some top quality oil (2 litres) has and a friction reducer has always helped on that score.

Again, by stomp I meant shoving the pedal into the carpet as you describe. The slave cylinder is responsible for pushing the release bearing onto the clutch pressure plate. If it leaks, it's effectiveness is greatly reduced and the pedal needs to be pushed harder and harder to achieve a clutch releaset. Replacement of the slave cylinder is the only cure. It's cheap and sits on top of the transmission.

Too much engine movement is attributed to weak engine mounts, another common VW achilles heel.

Full bore changes = full throttle acceleration :lol:

Kev

It does sound like the slave...

If you do have a problem with the hydrolics and its biting low, try taking the carpet mat out to get more pedal travel but get it sorted quick...

The slave will leak internally first and you won't notice any massive fluid loss (check the resevior) - if it is leaking badly then you will notice fluid sitting on top of the gearbox.

If your going to drive it about pick up some brake fluid as if it does suddenly go you don't want to draw air into the system - you will know when this happens as the pedal will not return :shock: