Sign in to follow this  
TomB

Advice please from Gentlemen of the Law.

I've just been given a Mk2 Golf as a freebie, which has been stood in a pub carpark for 18 months. I've given it to a friend and it's been recovered to his driveway where it currently resides.

It has no tax (SORN), no insurance & no MOT, so a couple of questions:

Legally how do I get to the MOT station to get it tested with no tax (for which you need MOT & insurance)?

How does one get insurance when the car has no tax or MOT (as won't the lack of these invalidate any insurance)?

Is it going to need to be trailered/towed on an A-Frame to the test centre, then stay there until tax and insurance can be obtained?

What's the legal status on towing this car without tax etc?

Sorry for the 20 questions style, but I know there are a couple of people knowledgeable in this are on the forum who might be able to help :-)

Feel free to reply by PM if preferred.

Cheers,

Tom

right, You MUST have insurance to drive a car on the UK roads. You can drive your new car TO an MOT station without tax or MOT, but you must have insurance. Your insurance WILL be valid for this journey, but only this one journey while not MOTd or taxed. If your car passes the MOT, you MUST tax it before you drive the car anywhere afterwards. If it fails, it's not road legal and therefore should not be driven on the roads.

If you tow it, it doesn't need tax as it's classed as a trailer and therefore is covered by the tax of the car which is towing it.

Hope this helps... 8)

phone John at Brentacre, I'd bet he'll be able to sort you out... 8)

or just take out a policy and then cancel it after a few days. Most companies offer a cooling off period

However, not legal.

Cancelling the policy will cancel the policy from the begining - so you will have been driving without insurance, basically...

That's very helpful, thanks Henny & everyone else. Looks like we better make sure it's spot on for the MOT then :-)

Cheers,

Tom

or just take out a policy and then cancel it after a few days. Most companies offer a cooling off period

However, not legal.

Cancelling the policy will cancel the policy from the begining - so you will have been driving without insurance, basically...

...not forgetting that some insurance companies have an early redemption penalty or require 1mths notice :?

But isn't there a mandatory 14 day "cooling off" period?

yeah that's what I thought, I know there is with other insurances like house etc.