Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

Weitec Supspension arrived

Right then,

My Weitec Ultra GT kit arrived today courtesy of G-Werks. Before I dive in feet first and try and fit it, I have a couple (well quite a few questions) that I’m hoping some of you suspension experts can help me out with! Apologies for the level of questions, as I suspect a lot of this will become apparent when I take it all to bits.

Before I get shot down in flames, I’ve done a bit of a search, but I found a couple of contradictory posts on the subject.

1. The rear shocks come with a bag of bits, a lower spring cup (which I believe slides down the shock and locates above the big circlip on the shock body), 3 M10 (ish) nuts, a black cap and a red top-hat type plastic thing (see photo). What are these bits for?

2. Do I need to compress the rear springs to get them off?

3. Do I need the car on it wheels before I finally tighten the rear top / bottom mounts?

4. For the fronts is the correct sequence slacken top mount with deep spanner & Allen key, compress spring, unbolt from carrier?

5. Refitting the reverse of the above? & do I need to locate the start of the new spring in the same position as the old one in the top mount?

I Will take some photos and do a little write-up if not done before.

Cheers

Nick

1. The rear shocks come with a bag of bits, a lower spring cup (which I believe slides down the shock and locates above the big circlip on the shock body), 3 M10 (ish) nuts, a black cap and a red top-hat type plastic thing (see photo). What are these bits for?

I just put new rear shocks on mine, and where all the bits live will become very clear once you take the old ones off.

EDIT, hmm, might have spoken a bit too soon, didn't see anything that looked like the red bit before.

I did use spring compressors on mine, might get away without, but you'll have them anyway(for the fronts) so you'd just as well use them

I've got a feeling the little red bit locates in the end of the spring...but I can't be sure. It's a few months since I fitted my Weitec kit and the memory has faded a little. I can remember it being pretty obvious when the old stuff came off though.

You're risking pain if you try it without spring compressors. It'll be a bugger to assemble the new shock without them too.

I'm thinking of getting this kit for my missus's valver, i'll be interested to see the drop and hear what the ride quality is like.

The ride quality is easily as good as it was with the standard shocks. I'd say it's a lot better than you'd expect for a £250 kit. Bear in mind I went for the -30/0 kit (I think), that uses the standard rear springs, as I wanted to lower it as little as possible.

As for the red thing...I really can't remember for sure.

Well fitted them last w/e and had the alignment done today.

A really easy job, although I had to take the rears off again to reposition the damper circlip to get the desired height.

I cannot believe how good the ride quality is, not crashy at all and if anything it feels much better than the original.

What amazes me, is the cost - only £65 a corner - just how do they do it???

Well fitted them last w/e and had the alignment done today.

A really easy job, although I had to take the rears off again to reposition the damper circlip to get the desired height.

I cannot believe how good the ride quality is, not crashy at all and if anything it feels much better than the original.

What amazes me, is the cost - only £65 a corner - just how do they do it???

Im glad you are pleased with them. We sell lots of these kits now and have not heard any negative feedback on them yet.