Sign in to follow this  
JayGT

Gear change problem on '92 G60.

People, my G60 is a nightmare to get into 1st.

Reverse & 2nd are also a bit tricky?? A mate reckons its the gear selector... how much am i looking at & do i just go to a scrappy & ask for selector/linkage?? Am i right in thinkg passat & mk2 golfs are the same?

I really need this sorted before I put the car up for sale.

Passed MOT with this problem as well :lol:

Cheers in advance

Is it better when the cars warmed up mate? That little circlip under the gear gaiter can sometimes be the culprit, on mine it eventually turned ou to be the master cylinder. Have a look on the search though bud theres loads of good info.

Cheers mate, yeah had a look on the search and although i found a bit of info, nothing that fully answers my questions! Its the same whether the engine is warmed or not. Two mechanics have said gear selector... just need to know what im looking at paying

Take your gaitor off and look at the selector as Walesy said there is a circlip which holds the gearstick on the selector. Mine went on me and i couldnt get 1st, 2nd or reverse. If your lost ill post a pic mate....

i think i am having a very similar problem?? although it only happens from cold?? when its all warm its fine??

I am assuming that would be ok as i had darren fit this box about 2 months ago? he also filled it with oil? may be worth checking tho hey! :-) Whats the capacity ? 2L?

i think i am having a very similar problem?? although it only happens from cold?? when its all warm its fine??

worn synchros are always worse when the oil and box is cold, all vw boxes seem bad for this at high miles, sometimes VW or other fully synthetic oil can help, especially the fully cold issues.

1st and 2nd gear synchros have to do the most work so they show the worst symptoms, the early vw cable change selector system just makes matters worse, it's been modified countless times since the late 80's to improve the shift feel.

how do you adjust the cables correctly?

a special VW tool is needed to calibrate everything properly, but if you've never tampered with the bolts at the gearstick mounting then simply slackening the 13mm bolt that connects the cable to the gear selector unit on top of the box and moving it slightly in it's adjustable bracket can improve gear selection if the 'at rest' position of the gearlever doesn't go straight forward into 3rd and back into 4th easily.